LA Engines???

-

Cerwin

Reaction score
when i decoded my engine to find out what it was and from when i came up with

a 1976 -1980 360 V8 (LA Engine)

What is an LA engine...
and is this a good motor... its used.. does anyone have links to get specs for this motor? or can you stat them if you know.

Thanks Cerwin

A La engine is any small block chrysler up to 1991. Switched to magnum after that (different heads and valvetrain oiling). As for a 76 to 80 360, probably painfully low compression with smog heads. But all that can be rectified in short order.

In addition, they were available from Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth in 273, 318, 340, 360 cubic inch displacements.

dartfever said:
A La engine is any small block chrysler up to 1991. Switched to magnum after that (different heads and valvetrain oiling). As for a 76 to 80 360, probably painfully low compression with smog heads. But all that can be rectified in short order.

how is this situation rectifiable, to aqcuire gas milage plus a little strip?

Fine engines, main thing to know with regards to the 360 is that they were/are (unless someone before you has spent the money to change it) externally balanced ie you need a harmonic balancer and torque converter that are balanced for the engine, or as far as the torque converter you can buy a flexplate that has a big "bite" out of it (that is how they balance them) or if you want to use a four speed you'll have to have a balanced flywheel. Performance parts like headers, intake, carbs, ign. etc are interchangeble thru out the small block family. I have run my 73 with a 360 to a best of 15.3 @90 in the 1/4 and that was in drive (shifts at 4 grand, my cam makes power from 3 to 7 grand supposedly) on street tires thru full exhaust, if I manually shift, drop the exhaust and put a set of slicks on it I have no doubts 14.3's are there to be had. Only mods to the engine before installation were intake & carb, cam, headers and flex plate from B&M. You can use the magnum heads with only minor modding (which will bump CR a little) or else use of a crosswind intake or the like to make them usable on the 360 (due to the fact the manifold bolts go into the heads differently. Good engine in my opinion.

krabysniper said:
Fine engines, main thing to know with regards to the 360 is that they were/are (unless someone before you has spent the money to change it) externally balanced ie you need a harmonic balancer and torque converter that are balanced for the engine, or as far as the torque converter you can buy a flexplate that has a big "bite" out of it (that is how they balance them) or if you want to use a four speed you'll have to have a balanced flywheel. Performance parts like headers, intake, carbs, ign. etc are interchangeble thru out the small block family. I have run my 73 with a 360 to a best of 15.3 @90 in the 1/4 and that was in drive (shifts at 4 grand, my cam makes power from 3 to 7 grand supposedly) on street tires thru full exhaust, if I manually shift, drop the exhaust and put a set of slicks on it I have no doubts 14.3's are there to be had. Only mods to the engine before installation were intake & carb, cam, headers and flex plate from B&M. You can use the magnum heads with only minor modding (which will bump CR a little) or else use of a crosswind intake or the like to make them usable on the 360 (due to the fact the manifold bolts go into the heads differently. Good engine in my opinion.
That's not entirely accurate when it comes to the intakes. 1964 and 1965 LA273 use a different intake than the 1966 up LA motors.

dartfever said:

Not quite true. The LA series engines evolved from the A series small block (i.e., 318 and 325 polyspherical engines). The L stands for light which was a redesign o he block to take out weight.

So a 318 up through 67 is not the same as a 318 through 91.

Well to get the compression up you can use the Mag heads as kraby suggested. There are lots of choice for pistons too. A combination of the two will probably yield the best results. Aim for 9.5:1 maybe 10:1 compression. Top it off with a eddy air gap intake and a cam to take advantage of the better flow and you should have a fairly stout 360. The comp cams xe268 would be a good place to start. Probably get away with more cam but it would make it a real stump puller.

There are many guys on here more knowledgable than myself that can come up with a better combo but that gives you an idea anyways.

That is true. The old 318 poly look massive in comparison to the 318 LA. Hard to believe they called them small blocks!! Also, in 67 the 318 in Canada were the poly while in the US they switched to the LA 318.

where did you go to decode your engine number? I picked up a 273 today that is supposed to be the original out of my Dart. the block number is RM273R 250111101.....any help is welcomed.

GTGrinly said:
where did you go to decode your engine number? I picked up a 273 today that is supposed to be the original out of my Dart. the block number is RM273R 250111101.....any help is welcomed.

those are odd castin numbers..

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/tables.php?02_Block-Casting-Numbers

Here is where i got my numbers from...
where abouts ddi you get that number from.. the casting number is located under the driver side exhaust manifold..

( **** *** 273 8 )

this is how it should look..

Those numbers are on the front of the block by the head. I found the casting # 286030-273-8...this casting numbers shows on mymopar as a 318, 66-71?? Does the 273 mean nothing or is this some end of year deal. This Dart was supposed to have the 235hp 273 original and this block is supposed to be the original..(according to the guy who wanted to sell it).

dartfever said:
Well to get the compression up you can use the Mag heads as kraby suggested. There are lots of choice for pistons too. A combination of the two will probably yield the best results. Aim for 9.5:1 maybe 10:1 compression. Top it off with a eddy air gap intake and a cam to take advantage of the better flow and you should have a fairly stout 360. The comp cams xe268 would be a good place to start. Probably get away with more cam but it would make it a real stump puller.

There are many guys on here more knowledgable than myself that can come up with a better combo but that gives you an idea anyways.

FWIW, the 360 I built last year for my Barracuda is using magnum heads. With KB flat top pistons and the block machined for zero deck it has 10.6:1 compression. I am also using the Comp XE268H cam and with the 1.6 ratio magnum rockers it has a little over .500" of lift. This is about the limit you can go on lift on the magnum head with out machining the guides for more clearance. I also have a Cross Wind intake. This combo pulls hard from 1500 rpm to 6500 rpm and is a blast on the street with it's wide power band.

-
Back