La intake with magnum heads

-

sport74

Reaction score
I've come across a good deal on a m1 intake for a la motor. I'm looking at getting a set of magnum heads, and I know the intake and heads won't bolt up with out some work. I have seen some adaptors and have heard of redrill and tap the heads. Question is which way is better? Where can I find a template for marking the holes for redrill or where can I find the adaptors? Thanks!

The eq heads are the/answer here

Did just this,you won't be sorry...Buy with a good valve spring & retainer combo,to start. You will be limited to .520-ish lift,with a 1.6 stock Magnum rocker. A custom length push rod would be nice here.

So I'm looking at a cam with a .525 lift and a 275/287 duration. Would that be a good one to go with? Will that give it a mean lope?

I built a jig to redrill and tap my heads. I just used the la intake to get my pattern and spacing and welded everything up. Add a couple locater tabs to bolt it to the head and away you go. Ill try and post some pictures later today for you.

Engine quest heads all the way. I ended up using new beehive springs from comp for an ls1 type gm and matching retainers. I'm using the comp xe268h cam. I used the comp 1525-kit for guideplates, rockers, studs, and pushrods. Only problem with that kit that they don't say is the pushrods seem to be meant for a roller cam. We will see how it performs when the track opens near me.

EQs are the go,great cylinder head im using the comps 268s flat tappet can and the great thing is you can use any LA bolt pattern Manifold with them

I went with the eq heads. Found a complete set with 2.02 intake and 1.62 exhaust valves for a little more pep..... went with the comp cams 275/287 duration .525 lift cam and the comp cams 1425-kit rockers I'll let yall know how it works out in a few weeks once everything is done

Sport 74. Did you go with a stock short block and what manifold did you use?
Does anyone have a flow or dyno comparison -EQ to the magnum heads.
I have a Magnum in the corner and I always wondered about a Magnum with a Six pac.
Doug

Hughes engines has flow information on their site:

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/1headflowchartscomparisons.php[/url It's all there.

The debate has been settled. ..... I went with a magnum block the eq heads that odessa cylinder head massaged some 2.02 / 1.62 valves in and the machinist has the block right now, waiting for the rest of the parts to come in to build a 408 stroker. This started out as a mildly built 318...... then the horsepower gremlin grabbed me and greed took over, I gotta get all I can!

The debate has been settled. ..... I went with a magnum block the eq heads that odessa cylinder head massaged some 2.02 / 1.62 valves in and the machinist has the block right now, waiting for the rest of the parts to come in to build a 408 stroker. This started out as a mildly built 318...... then the horsepower gremlin grabbed me and greed took over, I gotta get all I can!

Been there.....

I highly recommend staying away from odessa cylinder head. I ordered the ones with a la pattern and got ones with a magnum pattern, could be a simple mistake but they said they spoke with me to confirm it was la style. And I said magnum style. ........ they never asked me that. They said they had my number and called it out and it wasn't even the right area code! My machinist disassembled the head and showed me where they took a head for 1.94 valves and stuck a 2.02 in there. The combustion chamber edges were sharp which will cause detonation. All in all very disappointed! I sent pictures and they swear the seats are cut for 2.02s but the dial calipers don't lie!

I highly recommend staying away from odessa cylinder head. I ordered the ones with a la pattern and got ones with a magnum pattern, could be a simple mistake but they said they spoke with me to confirm it was la style. And I said magnum style. ........ they never asked me that. They said they had my number and called it out and it wasn't even the right area code! My machinist disassembled the head and showed me where they took a head for 1.94 valves and stuck a 2.02 in there. The combustion chamber edges were sharp which will cause detonation. All in all very disappointed! I sent pictures and they swear the seats are cut for 2.02s but the dial calipers don't lie!

That's unfortunate. They come in 1.92 & 2.02 valve sizes. The 1. 92 intake flows near 230-240 out of the box,no slouch (enough airflow for 450 horsepower. The out of the box E.Q. head,has a decent valve job out of the box. Could be better,not bad. Most "cylinder head assemblers" cram a 2.02 valve, because it sells product. A 2.02 valve dropped in a valve seat,requires a good cutter/ valve job/blending bowl porting to work. The moral of the story: Stock E Q heads,1. 92 intake valves ,usually outflow idiots slamming a 2.02 valve in a 1.92 seat,& not smoothing out the bowl area .Gave any questions, fire it up.

-
Back