LA or MAG

-

dudeman601

Reaction score
I have a 360 in my car j heads ld340 intake with a camshaft designed for a 4x4. The
Heads are prolly the worst looking heads i have ever seen (casting flaws in the exhaust
Ports) it has pretty low oil pressure so it will need some work this winter. I have a 451
Project in the works right now,but it will be a bit before i finish it. I came up with a 5.9
Magnum motor that has a messed up piston ,cylinder wasnt hurt.

Now my question. What should i do here. Freshen up the 360 start beefing it up. Build the 5.9 or just concentrate on the big motor. What am i looking at, doing the mag motor.
Can i use the rotating assembly out of the la for the mag(for converter balancer issues) i
Would like to build the mag motor for the reason of it already being a roller. I see where
Everybody puts the mag heads on the la motors. What are the advantages/disadvantages
Of both small blocks.

I appreciate you guys and all your wisdom

I am asking the same thing. I have a chance at a $500 5.9l out of a Ram 2000? 2500? he said 2000... but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I also havea 318, 230 horse stock, and a 360 fully rebuilt to stock specs...

I will come by and take that NASTY lookin 360 out of your sight forever..... no problem , no worries..... just leave it in the driveway and it will be gone by morning light...... Nasty motor, BAD engine....tsk tsk

PS leave all those nasty parts on it too so you wont litter your shop with them...
CLEAN HOUSE!!!! I can help!!

id go magnum, newer technology better heads design= mo-powa!

they make an sfi flexplate for the balancing issue

magnum heads:

small cumbustion chambers= more compression
better valve angle
1.94 1.60s stock
bigger intake runners
flow around 220 is depending on cam

la heads=poop

Out of the box, the Magnum heads flow better than any production LA head. In fact it would take some work to bring your J's up to the same level. Block is already set up for a roller cam as well.

It's a no brainer, you can pretty much duplicate the MP crate engine with a cam and intake swap. Part out your LA motor to offset the costs.

-
Back