LA Timing Cover Preference?

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
I need to replace the timing cover on the 318 in our W200. It honestly looks like someone tried to clean the gasket surface with a grinder. A buddy had a couple good ones lying around. One is a rear-installed seal, one is front. Both have driver tide timing marker cast in.

Do people have a preference on which one they like more? Aside form being able to theoretically replace the seal on one without removing the timing cover, is there any advantage?

Depends on your harmonic damper, and that is determined by the year.

Al-YOO-mini-um

My 68 318 came with right side index marks and the appropriate damper. I could only get more modern dampers when I replaced mine so had to swap out my old timing cover for the newer style.

I need to replace the timing cover on the 318 in our W200. It honestly looks like someone tried to clean the gasket surface with a grinder. A buddy had a couple good ones lying around. One is a rear-installed seal, one is front. Both have driver tide timing marker cast in.

Do people have a preference on which one they like more? Aside form being able to theoretically replace the seal on one without removing the timing cover, is there any advantage?
No advantage other than the seal- just pick the one in the best condition.

-
Back