LA w/ stock valve spring magnum heads - maximum lift

-

JAmes Dodge

Reaction score
What will be de maximum lift and rpm the stock magnum 5.2 valve springs could support?
I have a pair of these heads in good conditions to put in a LA 318... what do you think about these light camshafts below, will they work with the stock magnum valve springs?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...iew/make/dodge
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...iew/make/dodge
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-222-3
I know there are few parts to consider in the LA-magnum swap heads.

what do you think about Summit camshafts?

thanks!

Thanks

i wouldnt go any bigger than about 460 lift the 1.6 rockers will magnify the lift.plus any bigger and the valvesprings wont let it rev[-(

The Hughes 1110 springs,retainers get you ..510-ish.Check stuff,after that.The big deal ,retainer to valve guidr clearance. Spent the money the hard way. Thought ,I would give .000002.

The Hughes 1110 springs,retainers get you ..510-ish.Check stuff,after that.The big deal ,retainer to valve guidr clearance. Spent the money the hard way. Thought ,I would give .000002.
la 480 cam=512 with 1.6

Abodybomber, I have a new set of these valve springs form Hughes, what will be necessary to use them in the magnum heads? Change the valve keepers? Something more? thanks

If your changing valve springs you may or may not have to change the retainers. Locks (keepers) you can reuse but I'd suggest replacing them. Cheap insurance from a dropped valve just to save a buck. Factory stuff isn't quite as good as aftermarket. They will most likely be fine however with the spring pressures you require. Most times with smaller cams, the springs are designed to be used with factory retainers.
If it's a single with a dampner or a dual with dampner you should need to change the retainers. I think but not 100% that the mag heads were behive springs?

Check out magnumswap.com
They don't have any cam recommendations, but they say that the rumor of ~520 lift max is false. There running a cam close to or over 550 lift iirc. But the original springs are junk, as they barely keep up with the stock cam. so springs are probably going to be a must no mater what cam you go with. Better safe than sorry. Jm2c.

Order matching retainers from Hughes,use the stock valve locks.(Magnum)..512 should be safe ,with the retainer change.Measured .530 lift safely,on mine on reassembly.

I talked with Hughes they reccomend to magnum heads >> 1110 springs, 1278 retainers and 1307b locks. They tells the max lift would be about .550 to .560 without cutting the guides down with this setup. Very nice.
I'm waithing theyr answer about the 1102 valve springs (I have this springs, I was thinking in the 1110 but after a check in the box, saw they are 1102), I couldn't find info about these springs in theyr site.

thanks

-
Back