Large Diameter vs Small Diameter Driveshaft Question

-

66fyssh

Don't Stop Believin'
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys and gals, I need your help.

I have a 66 Barracuda parts car that I plan to pull the 8.75 rear from to replace the 7.25 in my driver. The driveshaft connected to the 8.75 is much larger diameter than the one attached to the 7.25.

Is one better than the other? Seems like the larger diameter would be stronger but I'm not sure. I know I'll need to shorten the 7.25 if I end up using it instead of the larger diameter driveshaft but I'd like to just swap them and use the larger diameter if it will work OK.

I would very much appreciate any thoughts!!

Terry

I remember reading on here they are different lengths as well between the 8.75 and 7.25. From personal experience I know that the slant six driveshaft in my duster now is smaller than the one from my parts v8 duster. Same year, same trans, and rear just different size diameter driveshaft like you say. There's a reason they did that from the factory I'm sure.

Yeah, I guess you're right...must be a reason for it.

The emergency brake cable comes awful close to the drive shaft though. As soon as it gets a little warmer, I'll make the swap. The 8.75 has 3.23 gears so that should do just fine behind my 273 Hipo.

-
Back