Large Sector '67-'72 Pitman Arm

-

Edfury426

Pentastar Powered!
Reaction score
I just wanted to mention that Firm Feel has a pitman Arm which adapts a large sector steering box to the '67-'72 tie rod center link.

I had a new in the box Firm Feel-2 power steering box which was left over from a '68 Charger project that I recently sold, and I had decided to use it for my '67 Barracuda. I don't know how or why it is a large Sector (post '73) box, but having ordered it over 10 years ago, I'm pretty sure my return window was expired, lol!

I was very happy to find that even though my car should use a small sector box, the conversion Pitman will allow me to make use of this nice steering box.

Alternately, I was prepared to go with '73 center link, and weld in a proper mounting bracket for the superior (my opinion) bolt through Idler Arm.

The conversion Pitman will just be easier, so I'm going with that, but I still may convert that Idler arm bracket later, due to bad past experience with the pre-'68 Idler. Ideally, I would change out my entire K- Member for a fully welded '68 - '72. Maybe someday...

Have you looked into the Roller Idler arm conversion kit ?

The roller Idler arm looks interesting (never heard of it before), but I'd still need a '68 - newer Idler arm bracket welded on, or K- member swap.

'67 used an Idler arm with a ball joint on each end. One end just attaches through hole in K-member. Though some would disagree, it's been my experience that the K-member end flexes and wears out very quickly. I am installing a new one, will live with it for now, just to get my car back together sooner, but will be keeping an eye on it!

-
Back