Large Starter

-

valiant100

valiant100
Reaction score
OK. I have a 68 valiant 100 that has a 318 engine from a 74 dart. Has been converted to electronic ign for 10 years now. The starter finally went out 6 months ago after 14 years. I took it into AZ (Auto Zone) for a new super torque one 59.99. Took me a long time to put it in due to headers. After 3 wks the starter did not start, All it did was clack. I tried jumping it from both poles at starter and starter relay and "Clack". Pulled it out and took it in for another one, still under warranty. Put it in, it worked and after another month "clack". What could this be, I believe it is defect rebuilds. Plannig on mini starter. Any reason why this might be happening, thanks. I have':wack:nt been around the thread since 2007 due to two new kids.

When you take back the starter, have them bench test it(or do this yourself). Probably junk starters but you need to know for sure & before you put in another.
I used a late 90's truck starter in my Dart. Good, cheap & mini.

When you take back the starter, have them bench test it(or do this yourself). Probably junk starters but you need to know for sure & before you put in another.
I used a late 90's truck starter in my Dart. Good, cheap & mini.

x2, I used a dakota starter on my scamp, same thing as the one warwagons mentioned.

I had the same problem, heat from the headers probably fried it. put a starter from a 96 Dakota in mine. Smaller and a lot easier to get in.

For the dakota starter, what is the part number I'm looking for? Several places say there are two types. I will look for one at Pick a Part.

If you want to swap out to the later mini starter they started about mid 90's and where in Ram trucks, vans, Dakotas, etc. A couple variations over the years but they interchange. Also make sure your engine ground is good.

-
Back