Largest tire/ Rim combo with 3 inch spring relocation??

-

emnestor

emnestor
Reaction score
1972 Dart (Swinger). I have relocated the springs inboard and I'm interested what combos and back spacing folks are running with this set up. It's time to purchase some wheels. Thanks.

What diameter wheels are you running? I curious too. I have 15s now, but want to upsize to 17s at some point.

1972 Dart (Swinger). I have relocated the springs inboard and I'm interested what combos and back spacing folks are running with this set up. It's time to purchase some wheels. Thanks.

So just springs moved in, you didn't widen the tubs?

Personal experience in 2 69's. offset kit allows 10.50" and that is pushing the limits. The leaf spring is the first thing you'll hit. The inboard kit with tubs 12.50" (might have been able to squeak a touch more under it)

If you run a taller rim yielding less profile to the tire/rim combo you can go a bit tighter as air pressure and sidewall deflection aren't as pronounced.

So just springs moved in, you didn't widen the tubs?

Personal experience in 2 69's. offset kit allows 10.50" and that is pushing the limits. The leaf spring is the first thing you'll hit. The inboard kit with tubs 12.50" (might have been able to squeak a touch more under it)

If you run a taller rim yielding less profile to the tire/rim combo you can go a bit tighter as air pressure and sidewall deflection aren't as pronounced.
Nope. No tubs. Just the springs moved in.

What is the first thing you will hit? the tubs or the springs? My tubs are slightly wider than the springs with the offset kit. Maybe I could squeeze an extra 1/2 inch in there if the springs were out of the way.

Due to production tolerances and ride heights i'd get that straight edge and tape measure out for your final purchase.

What is the first thing you will hit? the tubs or the springs? My tubs are slightly wider than the springs with the offset kit. Maybe I could squeeze an extra 1/2 inch in there if the springs were out of the way.

Due to production tolerances and ride heights i'd get that straight edge and tape measure out for your final purchase.

Since the springs are moved I have no chance of hitting them. I will def hit the tub first.

I had 295s on my red car before I sold it and they rubbed even with the springs relocated. I'm not sure if I have a stock width rear end though.

I had 295s on my red car before I sold it and they rubbed even with the springs relocated. I'm not sure if I have a stock width rear end though.

This is what I was trying to get at. I don't think there is much advantage to doing a complete relocation vs. an offset kit if you aren't going to widen the tubs to the frame.

-
Back