Lash Caps....Seven Came Off

-
I had a old Mopar racer named Dan Dvorak build a 440 race engine for me some 28 years ago and he recommended lash caps. While I studied them for a long while I finally decided not to use them. They touched the keepers when installed and I was worried about them kicking the keepers out at high RPM. I had a ton of passes on that engine and never had a problem with them NOT installed. I still have all of them in a little bag in my tool box.

You have to have the right valve for them, grooves set lower or a longer above groove tip. I ground those down till there was a gap...put them on and did not see adequate depth. After lash and if anything ever went rogue, they would fly out. Threw'em in the box of abortions and never bothered with them again.

I appreciate all the input folks. I wanted to send pics of the valvetrain, but the shop had already put the lash caps back on and buttoned everything up. Made 5 1/8th mile easy passes shifting at 6400, and it never missed a beat. 7.70’s spinning all the way through 1st and half the way through 2nd. Now on to the suspension.....

Out of curiosity, what MPH did it run in the 1/8th? I know you said previously it made 543 on the dyno, just curious, glad it's back running!

-
Back