Latching vs Pull Handle Glove Box Door?

-

Douglas Acebal

Reaction score
I have a '67 Barracuda glove box door that has no push button latch like my '68. It just has the pull handle.

How well do these things 67 versions stay shut without the latch? Should I assume they may have upgraded the engineering in '68 for a reason?

Anyway, I'm thinking of converting it over to the latching type but if you folks tell me the handle version doesn't flop around and vibrate (etc) perhaps I'll keep it.

I have never seen the glove box door of my 67 dart open on it's own. I have been a driver or passanger in the car since new in 67.

The 67 has a spring loaded hinge that mounts differently than 68 and up. Also it uses a different glove box insert.

No need to change.

You can lock it with the latch- security! The locking latch was an extra cost option.

I have never seen the glove box door of my 67 dart open on it's own. I have been a driver or passanger in the car since new in 67.

The 67 has a spring loaded hinge that mounts differently than 68 and up. Also it uses a different glove box insert.

No need to change.
Interesting…. Didn’t know the box was unique. Yeah, I know it won’t open on its own, and I have the mechanism, just wondering if it would vibrate without some positive locking mechanism. I also know the bumper is there to dampen any audible vibration, but that doesn’t necessary say anything about a good positive lock/catch keeping it nice and tight.

68 up has a piano hing along the bottom and a cable to keep it from opening too much.

The 67 has a very positive stop with it's spring loaded side hinges

Open position
16681042269763795036373499802323.jpg

Closed position

16681042496112736013124306766481.jpg

Missing rubber bumper for the open position
16681042700447602048750407726749.jpg
rubber bumper installed

16681042919486666332084430974787.jpg

68 up has a piano hing along the bottom and a cable to keep it from opening too much.

The 67 has a very positive stop with it's spring loaded side hinges
Yes, thanks. I have all of that hardware (minus a missing bumper if anyone has one, or a source). I fully understand its construction.

I'm just curious as to why it was updated in 68? Thought it might not be as secure as a latching-style door and what interchanges. Typically engineers update designs for a reason.

Can parts swaps allow for the later-year components? Like if I swapped the door/switched over to the piano hinge... etc.

Can parts swaps allow for the later-year components? Like if I swapped the door/switched over to the piano hinge... etc
Late response....

The opening size is the same but the flanges are different.

You could fabricate the unique parts of the dash to go from 67 to 68 up or visa versa

When I launch my 67 Barracuda at the track, the glove box door flies open. I'm running low 11s and approaching high 10s this season.

Make sure the spring is on the correct direction.

Me door requires significant effort to pull open.

You can also add a second spring to the drivers side.

-
Back