Late A headers on an early A (smallblock)

-
I literally just finished installing my Doug's into my 65 dart and it was a pain in the ***, and those were made for that car! A remote oil filter system is a must, without fender wells you are a lucky guy. If you run a rack and pinion the driver side may clear because that's the pain in the *** point. I'm thinking with a 67 and up set you can massage them to fit. Get a cheap set and then buy some extra tubing U's so you can reroute some primaries if you need to. Good luck bro

I literally just finished installing my Doug's into my 65 dart and it was a pain in the ***, and those were made for that car! A remote oil filter system is a must, without fender wells you are a lucky guy. If you run a rack and pinion the driver side may clear because that's the pain in the *** point. I'm thinking with a 67 and up set you can massage them to fit. Get a cheap set and then buy some extra tubing U's so you can reroute some primaries if you need to. Good luck bro

That's why those of us who have used them are trying to tell everyone that TTIs don't have these problems. They fit perfectly with no clearance problems with steering boxes, shock towers, etc. No oiling issues and a Mopar mini starter pops in or out with no problem. No massaging either so no performance loss from extra welds, dimples and sharp bends. You do have to route the torsion bars and the steering column through the tubes but that's a lot easier than welding or hammering to make something else work. They're definitely worth the money IMO.

That's why those of us who have used them are trying to tell everyone that TTIs don't have these problems. They fit perfectly with no clearance problems with steering boxes, shock towers, etc. No oiling issues and a Mopar mini starter pops in or out with no problem. No massaging either so no performance loss from extra welds, dimples and sharp bends. You do have to route the torsion bars and the steering column through the tubes but that's a lot easier than welding or hammering to make something else work. They're definitely worth the money IMO.

The Mini starter only works if you have a 904 or the original size clutch. If you step it up to a 727 or 10.5 clutch you need the power master starter motor. I tried the mini starter and there just not enough room. with the 10.5 clutch.
What are you running MoparPhil?

What ? I have a 10.5 inch clutch on my 72 340 4speed cuda I use a mini starter with no problems ? Not sure what you are talking about ?

What ? I have a 10.5 inch clutch on my 72 340 4speed cuda I use a mini starter with no problems ? Not sure what you are talking about ?

This is in the early abody forum. Yea my 71 340 demon uses a mini starter as well with tti headers but the early A with tti's and the 10.5 is much tighter.

The Mini starter only works if you have a 904 or the original size clutch. If you step it up to a 727 or 10.5 clutch you need the power master starter motor. I tried the mini starter and there just not enough room. with the 10.5 clutch.
What are you running MoparPhil?

Good point! I'm glad you mentioned it. I'm running a beefed up 904. That might be another consideration when designing your early A body build. A 904 can be built to handle gobs of torque reliably. By using the 904 housing you can bolt the trans right in without any figment issues associated with installing a 727. I bought my 904 off the shelf race ready from Mazzolini's. With the 904 and the TTIs I have no issues with clearance in my engine bay.

-
Back