Late model Cherokee / Viper power steering pump on A-body

-

Mr Man

Reaction score
Just wanted to share this info for those using the original Magnum serpentine setup on their cars... As you probably know, the stock Magnum truck PS pump sticks out a mile and hits the battery tray. I have heard about using the PS bracket from a van that brings the pump closer to the crankshaft, but I couldn't find one nearby.

I did, however, find a pump and bracket from a late 90's Grand Cherokee V8. It bolts right on and brings the pump 4" closer to the center of the car and 2" higher. I tapped the suction side of the pump so I can use a remote reservoir.

One note: The bracket is apparently known to crack based on what I've read in Jeep and Viper forums. A billet replacement is available, but I'm going to take my chances for now with an OEM replacement ($20).

Pics below show the layout difference between the Truck pump and Jeep/Viper setup. Hope this helps you guys who want to run a serpentine setup...

Scott

Attachments

• DSCN1257-1.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 496
  • DSCN1262-1.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 421
  • DSCN1263-1.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 483
  • DSCN1264-1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 424
Looks good. How hard would it be to make the bracket out of steel to eliminate the cracking issue for a reasonable cost?

It wouldn't be too hard starting with 1/4" steel plate, then welding on additional 1/4" blocks to space out the pump mounting points. Here's a pic of the billet piece for sale online for approx $70.

Attachments

• imagesCA9CJRRK.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 348
This looks GREAT ! Would this setup work on a '65 Barracuda with the 273 V8 ? Thanks, Tim

Thats good info. I've read that the pressure is different (higher?) on the newer pumps, and differing opinion about whether it matters. Perhaps it may blow a steering box seal or something. Any thoughts on that? I would like to keep the serp setup. Someone has also retrofitted an older pump.
I plan to relocate the battery so location may not be an issue.

This looks GREAT ! Would this setup work on a '65 Barracuda with the 273 V8 ? Thanks, Tim

The Magnum serpentine setup requires a specific timing cover and reverse rotation water pump. I'm not sure if all of that would bolt to a 273...

I'm putting the engine in tomorrow and will take pics of the clearance to the battery.

FYI - just learned that late 90's Jeep Wrangler 4-cyls had the same pump, but already set up for a remote reservoir. I would use that pump next time.

Scott

Thats good info. I've read that the pressure is different (higher?) on the newer pumps, and differing opinion about whether it matters. Perhaps it may blow a steering box seal or something. Any thoughts on that? I would like to keep the serp setup. Someone has also retrofitted an older pump.
I plan to relocate the battery so location may not be an issue.

Good point! I doubt that higher pressure would blow a seal, but it will make steering effort lighter or heavier. I should be able to tweak the control valve if this is a problem (I know it's possible on the Saginaw pumps but haven't seen anything about this specific pump).

Scott

Put the engine today. Lots of clearance to the battery. You may be able to use the stock Jeep Grand Cherokee reservoir but it would be pretty close.

Attachments

• DSCN1279-2.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 303
Cool. I like the idea of the serpentine system and an electric fan. Those wanting a more original look will of course think otherwise.

I tried that. The PS pressure hose was a b!tch so I said, "ta hell with it" (I actually said that) and ran the van bracket with my OE pump in a Dakota housing. EVERYTHING bolted up, including the hoses.

I have a Jeep pump for sale cheap if anyone wants it.

I tried that. The PS pressure hose was a b!tch so I said, "ta hell with it" (I actually said that) and ran the van bracket with my OE pump in a Dakota housing. EVERYTHING bolted up, including the hoses.

I have a Jeep pump for sale cheap if anyone wants it.

How did you handle the pulley change-over?

-
Back