late model torsion bar crossmember into early A body

-

Wiggilez

Reaction score
I need to fix the torsion bar crossmember on my 63 valiant. I can't seem to find any reproduction crossmembers for the earlier A bodies, but I can find some for the 67-71 A bodies.

Torsion Bar Crossmembers | AMD 395-1067

I'm curious if this will work for my car. using the site search to answer this question lead me to a similar question from a few years ago that was never answered.

The front frame rails on your 63 are closer together than the 67-72. The ends of the t-bar crossmember go all the way to the inside face of the rockers. A new crossmember can be modified (shortened) to fit but the centerline distance of the large female hex t-bar sockets are different between the two generations. 24.46 vs. 23.0
So that's a problem that's not easily fixed.

Look in the parts car section here or post a wanted ad. Maybe someone will cut a solid one out of a parts car for you.

The front frame rails on your 63 are closer together than the 67-72. The ends of the t-bar crossmember go all the way to the inside face of the rockers. A new crossmember can be modified (shortened) to fit but the centerline distance of the large female hex t-bar sockets are different between the two generations. 24.46 vs. 23.0
So that's a problem that's not easily fixed.

Look in the parts car section here or post a wanted ad. Maybe someone will cut a solid one out of a parts car for you.

Hmm, maybe I'll look into patching what I have and if that doesn't pan out I'll start looking into grabbing a used one.

Speaking from one rust belt to another. Did your torsion bar anchors rust out? I think it was Auto Rust Technicians that used to sell weld-in patches.

The driver side of is starting to look rough, but it is still holding up the car.

Try FABO parts for sale . A member had one listed sometime back. Call on Lee Robinson, he usually find early A stuff.

Tim

-
Back