Lateral rocker arm movement

-

dano

Evil Handy Man
Reaction score
I finally got the 340 running again (finally) but I ketp hearing a tapping sound so off goes the vale cover and I had a few loose rocker(all the adjusters were tight, just needed to be set tighter) and I saw that there is a larer gap between two of the pairs of rockers. The directions say a minimum of .030". one looks a lot larger than that. I intend to shim them to .030" but wanted some opinions on this. Should I leave it or shim it in? Is .030" ok, or should I go looser or tighter?

Thanks,

Dan

PICT0112.jpg

PICT0113.jpg

I have more the .030 play on my jesels so I don't think you need to shim it at all(I woundn't go more the .060). I noticed something on your pic....is that a crack on the number one exhaust retainer? or is it just something else. Also what is the company that makes those rockers?

These are Comp Cams Magnum rockers. I looked, that wansn't a crack, but good catch, it does look like one. Whatever it was it wipped away. The retainers are by Crane. This motor is 11 years old but has about 10 miles on it. The others don;t have that bid of gap, just the top photo of the number 1 valvetrain.

I wouldn't worry about it. If the lash opened up they may not have been set on the base circle or many other reasons. I've noticed on a new cam or valve train they take sometime to settle down so I recheck the preload/lash often just to make sure everything is where it should be.

If you wanted to get it the same(side clearance) as the others a bigger spacer would work.

Does the retainers being off center of the spring cause any problems, I think It might let the valve spring walk around.

I would go bigger but I've seen retainers like that before without problems. If you change retainers there is a very good chance you will be changing your installed hieght for the spring which you'll need to recheck everything if you do.

the retainers you have are for a smaller dia. spring - thus the ID of the spring is moving around quit a bit on the retainer. Id change to the correct size for the spring ID/OD if you want some longivety. JM2CsW.

the retainers you have are for a smaller dia. spring - thus the ID of the spring is moving around quit a bit on the retainer. Id change to the correct size for the spring ID/OD if you want some longivety. JM2CsW.

Yea, my thoughts exactly, this will be the 3rd go around on these heads to "get them right." needless to say, I think I will have an active roll in round 3 if these have to come off again.

Well, further investigation found most of the lifters are froze (will not pump) and the number one intale lifter face is wipped out. Out she comes. Damn it feels good to freshen up an 11 year old motor with under 10 miles on it. A good time to fix all the problems at once.

-
Back