LCA bushing removal

-

74duster

Reaction score
I got the pin out when the rubber finally gave up and separated. Now the inner sleeve is still on the pin, and the outer sleeve is still in the hole. I can see removing the inner sleeve with some careful grinding/cutting. How is that outer sleeve supposed to come out? I can't figure out how to get anything on it to push or pull with.

If you have a chisle its easy to take off the inner sleave off the pin.
Chisle a line like in the pic about three or four places around and it will just slide off. Don't go thru, just score it kinda deep.
The outer is another story. Some guys weld a washer to the sleeve and push on the washer to drive it out. Done it .. works well.
A friend of mine showed me how to use a chisle to fold the lip in toward the center in a couple places and then push against the folded in metal. That also worked good for me.

lca shaft3.jpg

Yup, I folded the lip over in a couple of places and then used my air chisel to push the bushing out. Worked well.

Jack

The hot ticket (I read from an old Mopar magazine) is to weld a large flat washer on top of the steel sleeve, then press it out, using some all thread and a couple of nuts. Saves the LCA from getting scored up from chiseling. You'll have to put the allthread with a nut on it inside the steel sleeve before you weld on the washer. Works great, just don't go bananas with too hot of a weld.

Sounds like I'm back in business!
I will have to wait until tomorrow after work before I can try though (my son has a baseball game tonight).
I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Got the inner sleeve off by chiseling several grooves in it. Worked great!
Tried welding a washer to the outer sleeve, and then pushing on the washer without success. Each time it just pulled away from the sleeve leaving a void in the sleeve where the weld was.
Tried chiselling the lip down and then pushing on the folded metal, but the metal just folds back again and breaks off. There isn't much of a rim on it anymore, so my next step will be to chisel all the way down the side, and fold it in on itself.
I just hope I don't do too much damage in the process. It's starting to look like a caveman has been working on this. Will get back on it either tomorrow after work, or on Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

cut a slit one the sleeve on the threaded shaft & twist it off with a vice grip. I bought the tools from one of the front suspension places & they work great. Was around a $250 investment but guess who get paid to change everyone elses bushings. Have made my 250 back plus a little.

I chiselled a groove all the way down the sleeve, then folded it in on itself and out it came.:cheers:
The scoring from the chisel will be easy to remove with some sandpaper, and then its time for cleaning, painting and a new bushing.
Thanks for all the suggestions, you guys are worth a million bucks.:toothy10:

-
Back