LCA's and ball joints - 73 B body

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
Posting here 'cause there's more eyes .... this is regarding my 73 Roadrunner. Wow - wish I'd done more research, everything I read up to today said lower ball joints were press fit. My replacements I ordered are press fit. Anyway , gave my LCA's to a buddy who had press access - he did a great job with the welded washer/torsion bar bushing removal trick, but also pressed out the ball joints, obviously the threads are shot , I'm assuming I can press in the new and tack weld ........ doubt I'll ever be replacing again as it won't be driven much .... just a few tacks or a full bead ? Heat issues ? Thanks. New LCA's are not an option at this point unless freebies.

If your guy "Pressed" out screw in lower ball joints, in your LCA's, then your LCA's are pretty much junk.
Time to go looking for a new pair. Your just going to bite the bullitt on this one.
FYI
You can tell if the ball joint screws in, if there are "flats" on it to accept a ball joint socket.
"Press" in ball joints are round, that cannot accept any kind of socket.

I know the LCA's are wasted as far as the threads - other than that they are structurally sound - I have read that ball joints can be welded in. This is my question , I know it's done more often on GM's as they're all press in and can have loose fits. Not concerned about the future of the LCA - I know I'll need new LCA's if/when I replace ball joints again.

The answer is just tack, but they were threaded? I've seen 'em in the parts book, but never ran across them in person. Are you planning on using the press in ball joints that you just bought?

Yep - threaded for sure - according to my (too late) research , 73 was threaded and 74 was press , who'da thunk. I'm thinking I can use the press fit ones I have but haven't got the LCA's back yet to see how the fit is ....... my own fault for not paying attention (they were pretty gunked up so really didn't notice flats that would have clued me in something was up) .... if the welds will be fine , it'll fly like that ........

Help me figure this out here?
What Revhendo asked.
You are wanting to tack weld a "press in " ball joint, where a "screw in" ball joint come out of the LCA.
People tack weld a ball joint in a UPPER control arm when the threads are boogered up, but that's when a threaded ball joint came out, and a threaded ball joint went back in, but just wouldn't tighten down.
Your either going to have to buy the proper threaded lower ball joint, and screw that in, tack weld it, and or, replace the LCA's using the proper ball joints.
Put a "Wanted" ad in this forum.

Keep the press in joints for the moment and scrounge up a new (to you) pair of lower arms. 73 up B bodies should all be the same and reasonably affordable (means dirt cheap). Do it right the first time and not have to worry about it again. Trust me, you'll have plenty of other details to stress over.

-
Back