LD4B OR LD340 FOR 273?? Coil mount?? Need pics

-
The only issue would be port matching if you decide to go LD4B later, but you could always port that to match the heads also.

I think that you would be happy with the LD340 and port the heads to it. Then you will have the stock coil mount location. I doubt that you would want to change to a LD4B and have to deal with mounting the coil.

Thanks Karl, the LD340 would be temporary...it eventually will be going on my 340, both the 273 and 340 are going to get mild porting done to them.

..............Steve, the LD340 is way too big 4 a 273.............u can buy a heat shield for a Holley carb that u can mount ur coil too, in fact I have 1.......kim....

Thanks Kim, that heat shield from what I see on the net is a little bulky??

beside the coil mounting discussion... if tried to use and tune a LD340 on a 273 with ported 318 heads... result: not what i would call a good set up, wasted a lot of time to get the carb in a proper running condition. and lost a lot of power at the bottom end.

as long as you not going to rev the 273 up to the sky... a LD340 will make no sense.

personally, i will make a switch to an stock 340 4bbl intake an add a TQ

btw... i´ve mounted coil and ECU right under the dash to get it away from heat

Good idea for the mounting location...the 67 cuda is a factory ac car, so not much space left under the dash. I like the clean/stock look.
Thanks!

Agree with you. Even if not porting, the ld340 does perform well on a 273. Had a friend who ran one for years. He couldn't find an ld4b, but his dad had the ld340 in the shop. Was a noticeable bump on the lower end and mid rpm range.

Exact same situation here with the LD340 sitting on the shelf. I know I have to chk the timing and the carb setup. Dad n I installed the carb and got engine running "good enough" but now I gotta fine tune....

I would buy a 440+6 coil bracket and modify it for the bolt spacing of your small block intake. It would be easy to do with very little welding.

That looks like the easiest way to go, of course after finding an LD4B!! LOL!

Thanks all!

6 pack coil bracket - available at Mancini ~ $30. Mounts on the two rear manifold bolts passenger side of the LD4B. Had to do a little bit of "massaging" with a file to clear the runners and get the bolt holes to line up. Very close clearance on the valve cover. But.... it works and looks clean!

Attachments

• 6 pack coil bracket.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 216
6 pack coil bracket - available at Mancini ~ $30. Mounts on the two rear manifold bolts passenger side of the LD4B. Had to do a little bit of "massaging" with a file to clear the runners and get the bolt holes to line up. Very close clearance on the valve cover. But.... it works and looks clean!

Ya convinced me, thats the way Im gonna go. Have you got another pic not zoomed in so much? That pic is perfect, but another would be great too.

Thanks!

Coil is mounted on an LD4B on a small block with a "massaged" six pack coil bracket:

Attachments

• 6 pack coil bracket.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 147
  • drivetrain in right.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 166
Coil is mounted on an LD4B on a small block with a "massaged" six pack coil bracket:

Do you have for me the 'massage'?

[ame]http://youtu.be/YHFE6WZK71s[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/SnXtuktNdlM[/ame]

-
Back