LD4B Ports

-
Reaction score
I just got my LD4B. I always thought the LD4B was for 318 2-barrel heads but looking at the ports they seem much larger than my performer which I thought was a good match. Is this normal? Was I mistaken about this intake? Took a good close look at it and and there has not been any work done to it (porting).

LD4B and the D4B I thought were for the 273's?? D4B was for the earlier one...slightly different head angle....

has it been ported ? Did you check it against a 318 intake gasket ?

My understanding was that the LD340 had the 340/360 size ports and the LD4B had the smaller 273/318 size of ports, but aside from that they were very similar manifolds. I used to have an LD4B that I ran on both my 68 273 and 80 318 and it definitely had the smaller size of ports.

From what I remember L is for aluminum, D for dual plane, 340 - 340, and 4B 4 barrel, so I guess that it is conceivable that the LD4B could have had either size?

has it been ported ? Did you check it against a 318 intake gasket ?
Unported. Can see the casting marks all the way around. I don't have any spare gaskets but measured and it is the 1.05 x 1.95 size ports. Is this good? What about having a lip where it meets the head messing up the flow and all that? Is this a good swap for the performer? I have the 302 heads. I heard its a good intake but I thought it was a better match to my heads. I also saw somewhere there were 2 different sizes depending on the year?

My understanding was that the LD340 had the 340/360 size ports and the LD4B had the smaller 273/318 size of ports, but aside from that they were very similar manifolds. I used to have an LD4B that I ran on both my 68 273 and 80 318 and it definitely had the smaller size of ports.

From what I remember L is for aluminum, D for dual plane, 340 - 340, and 4B 4 barrel, so I guess that it is conceivable that the LD4B could have had either size?

I remember it this way:
L indicates that it is for the "L" engine (273, 318, 340, 360).
RB indicates the big block RB engines (413, 426Wedge, 440).
No special lettering or engine call out indicates that it is for the big block B engines (361, 383, 400)

I thought the L was for the post 65 small blocks since the db4 is for the different intake bolt angle on the early la motors. I definitly could be wrong though.

My LD340 has never been ported and it has the large 340/360 style port.

Ted

Unported. Can see the casting marks all the way around. I don't have any spare gaskets but measured and it is the 1.05 x 1.95 size ports. Is this good? What about having a lip where it meets the head messing up the flow and all that? Is this a good swap for the performer? I have the 302 heads. I heard its a good intake but I thought it was a better match to my heads. I also saw somewhere there were 2 different sizes depending on the year?

They are good intakes, Only bad part is theres no place to mount the coil. Ive never heard of there being 2 port sizes for them but you never know

My LD340 has never been ported and it has the large 340/360 style port.

Ted
Thats because its an LD340 which was for the 340/360 heads. His is an LD4B which is 318 port size

They are good intakes, Only bad part is theres no place to mount the coil. Ive never heard of there being 2 port sizes for them but you never know

Something about whether or not it has the chrysler casting # or not, anybody heard of this? The one without being the small one. And the one with an aftermarket Direct Connection deal?

The ones with the Chrysler part number were sold over the counter at dealerships. Ones with out were sold by edelbrock.

-
Back