LD4b

-

64_Barracuda

Virginia Beach VA
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Fellas,

Hey I have a question maybe someone might know the answer. I picked up two LD4B intake manifolds, one has the Chrysler part number on it 283613 (the red one) the other does not. No big deal I think to myself, one was sponsored by MoPar at one point or at least I thought. I also thought that all LD4B intakes had the small intake manifold ports (7/8x2) the one with the Chrysler part number has large ports on it (1x2 3/16). My question is I thought the LD340 had the big intake ports and the LD4B was the smaller ones. Anyone ever run into this before?

SDC12072.JPG

SDC12074.JPG

SDC12075.JPG

The manifold on the right (silver) has been modified. Note the plenum divider has been milled away. I would guess that the ports have been matched to a 340/360 gasket. What heads do you plan to use?

I don't think the plenum was milled away I have seen alot of the LD4B's like this before and it has the smaller ports. The one on the left, "red one" doesn't seem to have been opened up either, but the "red one" has the chysler part number, just wierd its almost like it is a LD340 or something.

The silver one is certainly a later manifold. Note the A/C bracket boss above the #4 port. I still think it's been modified. Reducing/removing the plenum divider was quite common in stock classes where a larger carb could not be fitted. Also, the last LD340 I saw had a full divider (my LD4B is similar to your red manifold; small ports, part #) If you have a set of outside dividers, measure the port shape 3/4 inch in from the manifold face. This will tell you more about actual runner size and not just port opening.

It's hard telling what has been done to an old part, and why. It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

I agree Chief, its a mystery I guess, hopefully others will chime in, good catch on the A/C boss. Its just odd that it has big Ports on it.

Both engines I have are 318's. I just don't like putting on the bigger ports for vaccuum leak issues and what not.

The silver one is modified in the plenum area.

I was always of the understanding LD4B's were all small ported as well. Close to the same profile as LD340, which is the other big ported bolt on option from back in the day. I too have never seen one with opened plenum, but most I see have had carbs on them.

Very strange mystery.

-
Back