LDR working man drag radial class

-
No, those are $8K, lol. This is a world products block that I scored new for $3500. 4.50 bore x 4.250 stroke. Crower center counterweight crank, Oliver rods, Diamond pistons, Edelbrock heads, Bullet solid roller cam, dry sump oiling and a cable drive fuel pump.

Surely it was just the block for $3500------------

That mustang has more in chassis, suspension, and tires than I do my whole car. Then what does it cost to race it. To me any car over 30,000 is out of the average working mans league. Not dogging them. Power to them if the can afford it. Just saying around here average wage is probably 30 to 40k.

That mustang has more in chassis, suspension, and tires than I do my whole car. Then what does it cost to race it. To me any car over 30,000 is out of the average working mans league. Not dogging them. Power to them if the can afford it. Just saying around here average wage is probably 30 to 40k.
If you’re a check writer, you are correct. We’re do it yourselfers because we can’t afford to be check writers.

I understand. I done everything on my car except engine boring and balance. Less than 8000.00 invested and runs 10.30s.

If you’re a check writer, you are correct. We’re do it yourselfers because we can’t afford to be check writers.
Even the best “do-it-yourselfers” need to buy the parts, the steel, the tools, and all the pieces of that puzzle. Only thing you save on is labor. How much of a $100K car is in parts and how much is in labor?

I know some guys that run 5.xx in the 1/8th and that takes a serious effort. Most “teams” are comprised of multiple family members- everyone contributes to the budget. Only way I know of for the working man to compete.

HR. Engine is .030 over 440 flat tops, cheap ebay h beams,solid 272at .050 662 lift cam. Speedmaster bare heads with good valves and springs. Home ported and home valve job. Rebuilt 727 with ptc 5000 stall. 83/4 with ebay spool and 4.30s. Home built cage. 29.5x10.5 phoenix slicks. Runs on 91 pump gas. mp 3300 s/s springs. 70 challenger 3500 lbs race weight.

You guys got this all wrong. A guy with a business and 15 employees, he's a working man. I'm just a poverty stricken maintenance man, that likes to play with cars. Wife and I will stick to No-Box, have a little fun and maybe a smile, along the way. I do appreciate, the kind of money, a friend puts into an A/D 500" 99 Pro Stock Hemi.

One of our fastest C/Eliminator cars over here ( which was a super modified class car) which ran to a clear set of rules, ci/weight/NA/forced induction etc., runs 7.30's/186mph-1/4....4.60's/1/8th, 1.05 60's., his current index is 7.99. I've known him for years, a simple mechanic, no money, most of his car is 2nd hand parts, including the car which had been around for years, engine is a stock block 461ci chebby, ancient ally heads, restricted to a max .600" cam, 2 ancient Doms, a 2nd hand Lenco and a twin plate N20 system with only a 5lb bottle allowed, runs on C12. Car is around 2500lbs@line. Doesn't have a fortune in it. Its possible to do it with no money, car has been running for 15yrs, won the championship this year and last. Currently building a 520ci 2nd hand motor bought from USA up.....4.20's/6 sec passes? well, possibly....car is a yellow/white Ford Scorpio.
a>

Andy-Hone-ME18-ED.jpg

Andy-Hone-ME18-ED.jpg

Last edited:
That amount of talent and hrs would go a long ways on nss/outlaw etc.l think I’ll bracket race & restore Cudas instead

Lyle Barnett runs in the LDR class is Jason Digbys Dart. One of the fastest mopar powered cars if not the fastest. He is also running leaf springs and I believe he is down into the teens with the car now. Just to give you an idea of the budget for the engine, he is running Indy predator heads which are $12,000 and likely has more tied up in them. If you plan on building the car and racing it regularly then you better dedicate your life to it because it’s going to tie up the majority of your money if you aren’t a wealthy.

Also if you are running 4.20 you are competitive but to win now you better be in the teens.

42B22BF9-BFE9-4546-931A-BFF63CFB2D39.jpeg

At 4.14, he’s the fastest on leafs. RVW record was set with a 3.61 yesterday. One of the grudge race wagers at SGMP this weekend was 150K alone. These guys are well funded.

At 4.14, he’s the fastest on leafs. RVW record was set with a 3.61 yesterday. One of the grudge race wagers at SGMP this weekend was 150K alone. These guys are well funded.

SGMP looks like the NHRA nationals this weekend and I love it. The NHRA turned into NASCAR and now everyone is going to heads up stuff. Tim Slavens record run yesterday was done in a car with a steel roof and quarters too!

Have to admit. I'd rather watch this than the nhra crap. The only part I like is super stocks and they never show them.

I would think ultra street would be the closest thing to a working mans radial class. The record for that class is in the 4.60's I think. But that's the bad boys running that. I would think a low 5 sec car would be competitive a lot of the time except for the huge events. And at races where they don't have a ultra street class they seem to offer the ultra setups a huge weight break to try to run with the x275 cars.

I am working with some folks who are trying to get a program together for the "Working Person". some of it is index/prostart racing and some of it is brackets . There is NO money involved . The index starts at 12.50 and slower which is where the track index leaves off . the bracket part starts at 12.75 and slower . Street legal registered and inspected . So far , the tracks say NFW . turned us down flat , no reason .

Hemirunner , NHRA will never learn from NASCAR . they are in lockstep together . Just look at the "Power Rating" for drivers . what a joke ! The "All stars", "top ten","Countdown to the Championship". Makes me laugh . I'd rather watch a Stock/Super Stock race than Top Fuel.

I would think ultra street would be the closest thing to a working mans radial class. The record for that class is in the 4.60's I think. But that's the bad boys running that. I would think a low 5 sec car would be competitive a lot of the time except for the huge events. And at races where they don't have a ultra street class they seem to offer the ultra setups a huge weight break to try to run with the x275 cars.

What about the 235 class? Is that comparable to the x275 as far as budget goes?

As soon as they stray from that concept, interest drops. You’d think NHRA would have learned from NASCAR.

The race I go to in April has a promod class that runs for big money. People get up and walk around the pits when the promod guys run.

-
Back