Lead additive, Octane boost Both? Recommendations?

-

Mgarrett88

Reaction score
Looking to get some thoughts and opinions from others out there on what are some good fuel additives to run in my Scamp.
Have an original 318 scamp no mods.
With the ethanol in gas I have been running REQ 89 fuel with no ethanol in the gas.
I have been adding lead substitute and octane boost. Both are usually what I can find on the shelf at the local auto parts shop.
However I am wondering if and what others may be using. There are a lot of different octane boosters, and lead substitutes out there, and just as many "reviews" and "Top 10 lists" online. Of course all of the reviews and lists are different.

So I figured I would ask on the forum and see what others recommend and or use.

Thanks!!!

The lead sub and no ethanol gas are both plenty sufficient.

Looking to get some thoughts and opinions from others out there on what are some good fuel additives to run in my Scamp.
Have an original 318 scamp no mods.
With the ethanol in gas I have been running REQ 89 fuel with no ethanol in the gas.
I have been adding lead substitute and octane boost. Both are usually what I can find on the shelf at the local auto parts shop.
However I am wondering if and what others may be using. There are a lot of different octane boosters, and lead substitutes out there, and just as many "reviews" and "Top 10 lists" online. Of course all of the reviews and lists are different.

So I figured I would ask on the forum and see what others recommend and or use.

Thanks!!!
I recommend you stop wasting your money on octane boost on a factory 318..
If you're using it often or daily driving it non-ethanol gas isn't helping much either... Also if the heads have never been touched and it doesn't have harden exhaust valve seats I guess you could put a lead additive in it if you really want to be overly precautious... but it's made it this far and unless again you're driving it every single day likely it's not going to make that much of a difference in my opinion. I have a factory 318 in my 73 truck and I just go get the regular cheap ethanol gas and it runs fine... Remember K.I.S.S.... (and that's me saying that to myself not you..)

thanks for the info!
not a daily driver at all. I dont put many miles on at all. A few local shows in the summer, ice cream on nice sundays and thats about it. Maybe 3 fill ups last year is all.

I do believe that gas drops in octane when it sits a long time? I always put a tank of premium in my 318 Dart before it sits over the winter.

I do believe that gas drops in octane when it sits a long time? I always put a tank of premium in my 318 Dart before it sits over the winter.
I’ve seen YouTube tests where you can’t even light it with match. Forget how many months, but not many.

I am lucky I guess and easy non ethanol fuel near me. I do drop some booster every 4 tanks though!

I wish - I can get regular no ethanol for my chainsaw, mower, etc. but no high test. I use Carb Defender in high test (92) to counter act the ethanol and it works great.

I run the no ethanol 92/93 in a 383HP it is fine, add octane boost with lead every 4 tanks. This All I run in my yard stuff to keep from eating them up.

thanks for the info!
not a daily driver at all. I dont put many miles on at all. A few local shows in the summer, ice cream on nice sundays and thats about it. Maybe 3 fill ups last year is all.
If you run only three tanks full a year I would go ahead and do the non-ethanol but that's probably it...

I’ve seen YouTube tests where you can’t even light it with match. Forget how many months, but not many.
I got an '88 F350 from Wyrmrider back in 2015. It had gas in it from 2001. I fired it up and drove it back to Wisconsin filling the tanks about every 40 miles or so.

LA gas at the time was well past $4.00/gallon. No way my cheap butt was going to waste all that $$$.

Last edited:
Based on 3 tanks of gas and 12 mpg your driving it about 600 to 700 miles a year, I do about 1000, I drive it minimum 30 minutes every month.
I just put regular shell gas in the tank and have no problems. Car sat for 4 years with regular gas in the tank, no special treatment when parked, without being started, with about 1/2 tank. It fired on the first try with starter fluid. Filled it up and drove the tank to empty. Filled it again and haven't looked back. I had a borascope in the tank and except a few small rust spots, smaller then a dime it was clean as a whistle.

Fill it, drove it, enjoy it!

That's what our fathers did when they bought these cars in the first place

Just want to inform all us that drive these older, non-ethanol gas cars and trucks....Watch for the EPA (backed by Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley) to reduce and possibly end the availability of regular/premium gasoline. The ethanol industry is complaining about the market share they are missing out on due to smaller refinery waivers, which allows small refineries not to blend ethanol in the gasoline they produce. My family has boycotted ethanol for years (and we farm). We believe there should always be a choice. That's the American way.

Just want to inform all us that drive these older, non-ethanol gas cars and trucks....Watch for the EPA (backed by Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley) to reduce and possibly end the availability of regular/premium gasoline. The ethanol industry is complaining about the market share they are missing out on due to smaller refinery waivers, which allows small refineries not to blend ethanol in the gasoline they produce. My family has boycotted ethanol for years (and we farm). We believe there should always be a choice. That's the American way.
Isn't that where they want to make all fuel like 97 octane like Europe?..

Imagine the fuel economy if we had 104 or higher octane, and 10 to 12 to one compression.

More power per gallon = less fuel used per mile

OP you might consider a gas storage prolonger to keep your gas from going bad, turning to varnish, sticking your valves, etc
That F350 crew cab dualie i used to use to haul the big horse trailer
88 was the first year for EFI for the 460
better own a gas station if you wanted to drive it unloaded- loaded it does what it does
dual tanks shoulda got more than 40 miles :)
Krooser flew out and I think we had to change a fuel pump and an exhaust leak involving a broken bolt- several other little things :)- Krooser can wrench, price was right..
Now maybe towing race car Krooser?

My family run 6 old Mopars. We have about three sources in our area to buy 91 octane non-ethanol. We support these businesses for our old cars and new cars/trucks, mowers, weed eaters, and chainsaws and tell them how much we appreciate them offering this fuel. We encourage everyone to support their local suppliers, so we and the next generations will be able to enjoy these great automobiles. Perhaps contacting your "law/slave makers" would be a good idea, also.

-
Back