Lead From The Factory?

-

SassyGrassScamp

My Addiction Has Begun
Reaction score
I'm grinding and cutting all the rust back on my '71 Scamp and I was working on the rockers when I came across lead where the rockers meet the rear quarters....Is the lead from the factory?....It looks pretty original to me....Thoughts?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Yup , I believe Chrysler was the last to stop using lead from what I understand .

( I have no idea why a canadian flag appeared in My post )?

Ran into lead at all of the body panel seams at the windows on our 68 Barracuda and like you found at the rocker and quarter panels seam.

Yup , I believe Chrysler was the last to stop using lead from what I understand .

( I have no idea why a canadian flag appeared in My post )?

Seems strange that they would lead the rockers but not the upper seams where the quarters meet the roof.

I haven't begun my search yet but since we're talking about the lead, how do you get rid of it to replace quarters? Heat it and scrape it away, gring it out, thoughts, experience?

all the Mopars i've disected (early 60's through '80) had lead in the "flanged" seams unless it was a seam under a vinyl top, then it was bondo/filler. The lead holds up against rust/rot better on an exposed seam. The filler seams are OK until the vinyl top fails and lets water in, then the porosity of the filler holds the moisture and rots the steel like it was in a salt bath.

Lead fills all factory seams on my 68 Cuda.
Top of windshield pillars where roof meets a-pillars, cowl, rockers, sail panels, filler between decklid and trunk, and rockers.

I used a map torch and a wire brush. I have welded these joints solid and used all-metal to finish each seam location. Also gonna weld the inner seams as well. Sure has tightened up the cabin quite a bit. Ahhhh !!! No more squeeks and rattles

-
Back