Leaf Spring Bushings Gone Bad

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda and my leaf spring busings have reached there end of life. My shackles are not looking real good either so here is my questions. How can I determine if my springs are shot? Any suggestions on replacement bushings/shackels? Also can the springs be refurbished?

There is no unusual bouncing coming from the rear end. The springs look rough but not rusted just dirty. Any suggestions would be awesome.

I have a 65 Barracuda and my leaf spring busings have reached there end of life. My shackles are not looking real good either so here is my questions. How can I determine if my springs are shot? Any suggestions on replacement bushings/shackels? Also can the springs be refurbished?

There is no unusual bouncing coming from the rear end. The springs look rough but not rusted just dirty. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Does the car sag in the rear or sit like it should?

It appears to be pretty level across the whole of the car. When I look at it from front to back and side to side it all seems consistent. What I mean is if I look at it from the side the front and back appear to be level and when I look from the front or back one side is not higher then the other.

Shackle bushings are cake, hard mounts probably more trouble, but should punch out, the outer metal sleeve would probably be the one to get stuck, but should`nt be too bad to get out. A good spring shop can re-arch if you feel nessary? Of course if your leaving springs on car the difficulty level goes up.http://www.springsnthings.com/chrysler-suspension-parts
Call these people, good to deal with.

Call me stupid but I am lost. There appears to be a total of 3 bushings per leaf spring. There is the front which is welded to the frame and then there is the rear which is on a shackle and there is a bushing on the leaf spring side and one on frame mounted side. Basically both side of the shackle. Are you saying the leaf spring shackle side is easy but the frame mounted side are going to be harder to replace?

How would I refurbish the leaf springs? And any other way to determine the condition of the leaf springs?

-
Back