leaf spring center bolt height Q

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
8&3/4 leaf springs/race app. right now the top nub of the center bolt sticks up maybe 3/8", just enough to engage the perch(s). If I add tapered shims to correct pinion angle the nub would engage the shim but not high enough to engage the perch. will the ubolts have enough clamping to hold it all together or do I need to clamp the springs/remove the center bolt & get a longer one? Thank you for your time. RR

Shims I have seen have a dimple in them to engage the pearch.

You could replace the stock center bolt with a cap screw turned down to the correct od

these shims are old/worn with the holes oblong that came from an old stash & you got me thinking that I should just get good ones with the lip. where should I go to purchase em?

I have 4 A body 8 3/4 rear housings. All but one had elongated perch alignment holes

this housing has a hole the exact dia of the 3/8 bolt & the height of the bolt matches the thickness of the pads (both even). not sure how the holes in these shims I have got rounded out (came from an old stash) but maybe the ubolts will have enough clamping to keep the shims in place???

In my elderly opinion I think the pins mainly located the rear
end and the major amount of the retention is through the clamping
force of the u bolts. They supply a bit of retention but not the bulk
of it.

Ok 45 lbs it is. I think I will get some good shims with a 3/8 hole & a long enough bolt to go thru the shim & engage the perch. thank guys, much appreciated. RR

The Dana S60 housing is way stronger the 8 3/4 Housing and
I think that the bolts would stretch/break long before I significantly
deflected the tubes on that Monster!

Just my .02 for what it is worth.

-
Back