Leaf spring relocation - shackles to frame

-

DFootCuda

Reaction score
I recently purchased this 69 Dart with the leaf spring relocation kit almost complete . I have no instructions or paper work plus have never seen a finished product . Before I weld in the tubes thru the frame on the rear for the shackles is the a set measurement for how far tube stick out or am I grinding them flush ? I have new hotchkis leafs and anti sway with PST shackle kits . The width makes me think tubes remain the width they are now . Can someone post me picture of a finished welded tube ?

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

Thanks for the info guys . Looks like I am missing the plates . That answers the question about how that tube fits and wont wear out the poly bushings .

Curious myself as I'm going to be doing this, but I thought the tubes go in the existing holes so as not to raise the ride height?

Curious myself as I'm going to be doing this, but I thought the tubes go in the existing holes so as not to raise the ride height?

Mine are in the existing holes, only problem is when you put bigger tires on it! I have 275/60/15 on mine which are around 28.5 tall, I have maybe a 1/2" of clearance on front of tire to quarter panels. Going to end up moving mine back a little.

Not sure if the car has a mini-tub job done on it, but if it doesn't there's no point in completing the 3" offset. You can run the same exact size tires in the stock tubs with a 1/2" spring/hanger offset as you can with a full 3" relocation and stock tubs. The 1/2" offset is all you need to make the stock tubs the limiting factor.

If you're using hotchkis springs I'm going to assume your setting your car up for better handling? If that's the case, you want to keep your springs as far out as possibly. Moving them in changes your effective wheel rate. You've got a longer distance between the tire and the spring, so, longer lever arm. Effectively it means you need stiffer springs/larger sway bar with a 3" relocation. Now, if you're mini-tubbing and running super wide tires out back you can deal with that change, but if you're just running the stock wheel tubs there's no reason to have to bother with it.

With mini tubs and springs done I have 275/60/15, and have gobs of room for more tire, at least 2" per side 325 would be no problem, I never understood why the factory put those stupid pinch seams in there in the first place, it's a waist of space. Problem is if you do mini tubs, then you may as well do the relocation of springs, they go hand in hand

Jeff

You can fit 275's into the stock tubs with a 1/2" spring offset. But yeah, no point in doing a minitub without the 3" relocation or the 3" relocation without a minitub.

As for the factory, the original tires were like 185's, so honestly we're lucky they even made the stock tubs as large as they did.

I'd like to see 275's on a stock axle , with even a offset spring, I barely fit a 225 in there. You would need some major backspace on those rims to go that wide

I will try to post pics tomorrow but it has mini tubs and spring re location kit . I am just taking this project over . Good to know about the wheel rate , I do have a good size anti sway bar going in too . My plan for the front end is independent front suspension system with K member . Planning on putting a 383 in it

I'd like to see 275's on a stock axle , with even a offset spring, I barely fit a 225 in there. You would need some major backspace on those rims to go that wide

Backspacing needs to be around 5.5" with an A-body 8 3/4, 15x8's and 275/60/15's. Has to have offset hangers/shackles. Most cars need a little trimming/rolling at the quarter lip, but it can be done with the stock tubs and just a 1/2" offset. The backspace has to be pretty much dead on, and there's no extra room. But it can be done on most cars. As I'm sure you know some of these cars have less room than others because of body tolerances, so some cars need some quarter lip trimming, some may not, and some may not be able to manage it without rubbing even with some trimming. It's pretty much right at the limit.

PowerSerge's car. His only has a 4" backspace but he has a shortened axle. Doesn't matter if you get the right backspace 67-69 Dart...275/60/15 drag radials...how low is your stance?
image.jpg1_1.jpg

Rpmagoo's car, 275/60/15's. He says he has a 4" backspace, so, must be a shortened axle. But again, doesn't matter if the backspace is correct for the axle width [URL="http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/largest-rear-tire-on-stock-wheelwell-69-dart.361656/#post-1971409206"]largest rear tire on stock wheelwell 69 dart[/URL]

file2-jpg.jpg

GmachineDartGT's car has 275/40/18's on 18x9's. He has an A-body 8 3/4 with BBP axles. 6" backspace because of the 18x9's. Latest tire 1970 Swinger with mopar off set shackles can I fit a 275 tire?
img_3915-jpeg.jpg

There's a few other folks that have done it, and a few guys that are running 275/60/15's with stock wheel tubs and a 3" spring relocation too. Thing is, the stock tubs are more limiting than the springs are after a 1/2" offset, so, anyone with stock tubs and 275's can be used as an example.

Roccodart440 has that set up, stock tubs and 275's with a 3" offset.
2013-05-31_18-07-02_756small-jpg.jpg

That car has already been mini-tubbed, the tubs are in line with the frame rails. With the stock tubs there's an overhang, there's a couple inches from the rail to the inside of the tub. So with yours I'd just complete the 3" relocation.

I agree that stock tub's will fit a 275, no problem, that's why I mentioned the backspacing. The axle I shortened is 48" long now, so it's 4 5/8" shorter then stock, my wheels only come in 4 1/2" backspacing, so that's why they were so tight. And, yes to your point every car is a little different, my buddy had 245's on the back of his 68 dart, with stock everything except they were small bolt ralleye wheel's. He had to jack car up on frame and let the axle hang to get them on, but they fit lol. Holy crap those tires are tight on that red 69 in first picture! I love the spring relocation I did to mine, have ton's of room now, I was afraid of wiping out a quarter panel every time I hit a high speed turn so I solved that problem.

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Last edited:
-
Back