Leaf Springs for 60 Valiant Question

-

mey6t6

Reaction score
Does anybody know how long the leaf springs for a 1960 Valiant should be? I bought some for my Valiant and when I installed them, the car sits too high...looks like it is modified for flood waters or something. The person I bought them from insists that they are factory leaf springs. They measure 55" in length. I threw the original leaf springs away so I can't measure them to compare.

How many leaves? Should be 4, if I recall right, 5 for HD suspension.

My car could use some new leafs, if you want the rear higher.

ESPO is a great place to deal with.

http://espo.com/

Does anybody know how long the leaf springs for a 1960 Valiant should be? I bought some for my Valiant and when I installed them, the car sits too high...looks like it is modified for flood waters or something. The person I bought them from insists that they are factory leaf springs. They measure 55" in length. I threw the original leaf springs away so I can't measure them to compare.

Actually, I'm looking for how long the original ones are...the ones I bought have five leafs, are 2 1/2 inches wide and 55" long. My car doesn't need to go higher...the rear end is too high, like the leaf springs are too long.

If you are looking for new leaf springs for your car, I got mine from McVeigh's Truck Springs in Mio, Michigan. He has them for classic cars too. I have family in Mio and discovered him when visiting last summer. I found he has an eBay store too.

Link to McVeigh's eBay Store

QWe finally found the answer in the service manual book...55 inches is correct...so why can you see the entire tire when the fender skirts are on??? The shackles are the original ones so that isn't the problem.

What size tires are on the car now??

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1960-1962-plymouth-valiant3.htm

Torsion-Aire front suspension incorporated Chrysler's well-respected torsion bars combined with 6.50X13 tires. Hotch**kiss-type rear suspension featured sea-leg shocks and a highly asymmetrical 55-inch leaf spring with 20 inches forward of the axle.

This arrangement played a major part in controlling body roll, acceleration squat, and brake dip. It was an excellent setup, but the irrepressible Tom McCahill found an unusual peculiarity in the car's handling. Reporting in the March 1960 issue of Mechanix Illustrated, McCahill wrote:

"Because the engine is mounted off-center to the right, the characteristics when you make a hard right turn are quite different from those when you make a hard left turn.

"When I first drilled this Valiant over the Daytona International Speedway sports car course, I found it the best-handling American car I've ever driven through a tight turn -- while bending to the right. When I hit a tight curve going to the left, I experienced a very deep plowing effect. Later, in making circling tests on the beach, I found that in left turns I could almost spin the Valiant on its nose in its own length. This is something the average American driver might never notice. ... But on a tough mountain road, if he descends too fast, he'll definitely feel the difference.

"This condition isn't dangerous but it is interesting."

Take a leaf out of the spring pack. I would try the one in the middle and see were it sits.

-
Back