Leaf Springs,Replace or recondition?

-
I just love it when people are called bullshat and stuoid. Marbe we should just let" his highness" answer all /'s from now on.

I never called anybody anything. I was talking about bad advice. Go back and read. Rearching does not last. It's a fact. It's bad advice considering you can buy new springs for between 150-300 bucks depending on what you buy and from where. I think what you should concentrate on rather than jumping in with no appreciable advice is learning sentence structure, grammar and typing skills, because you suck at all of it.

Well seeing how it took the original spring pack 40+years to sag I'm not gonna worry about it. A proper re-arch only re -arches the eye leaf and replaces the leaf pack,all for a lot less than any fancy internet store.

Plus there is that local job's thing I mentioned,but hey in this economy that doesnt matter at all.

Either way the op is getting new. I'm getting mine done local,save a ton of money and support my neighbour's job. Oh and I'll laugh all the way to the bank. The last quote I got was well under $200.

Well, you're still not going to be money ahead even doing it like that. By the time you pay someone to pull the springs, take the packs completely apart, rearch the ONE lead spring and replace all the others with new leafs and reassemble the pack and reinstall.....**** I'm gettin tired typing about it. Pick your poison. I know what I'll do and it won't consist of any BS rearching.

I never called anybody anything. I was talking about bad advice. Go back and read. Rearching does not last. It's a fact. It's bad advice considering you can buy new springs for between 150-300 bucks depending on what you buy and from where. I think what you should concentrate on rather than jumping in with no appreciable advice is learning sentence structure, grammar and typing skills, because you suck at all of it.

Read back, he asked for an opinion, I gave it. Now you accuse me of not having a grasp on english, and then tell me that I suck.

Yes, what ever you say, your highness; All bow down to the highness here, and never offer an opinion

Lose your meds?

As did I. I gave the most cost effective and best alternative. Replacement leaf springs.

Leaf springs, like other springs fatigue with age/duty cycle. Eventually they fatugue resulting in fracture/breaking. Rearching them will make them better for a period of time, but eventally everything ages and will fatigue and break, especially when exposed to duty cycling like a spring. This is basic mechanical engineering 101.

The best long term solution is to replace with new fresh springs.

So why insult me?

"his highness" and all that bullshit first and you don't expect me to swing back? All I did was give solid info....and point out bad advice. YOU chose to butt in with your insult first. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Leaf springs, like other springs fatigue with age/duty cycle. Eventually they fatugue resulting in fracture/breaking. Rearching them will make them better for a period of time, but eventally everything ages and will fatigue and break, especially when exposed to duty cycling like a spring. This is basic mechanical engineering 101.

The best long term solution is to replace with new fresh springs.

Exactly the point I am trying so hard to argue.

I haven't read all the gibberish but if it was me I would buy new ones. I look at it like I have spent all this money on this car might as well go with new ones. They aren't extremely high in price anyways.

Just ordered new 1" over stock 6 leafs from ESPO for just over $300 shipped. Not even worth considering bothering with re-arching for that price.

"his highness" and all that bullshit first and you don't expect me to swing back? All I did was give solid info....and point out bad advice. YOU chose to butt in with your insult first. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Read back; I said "highness" when you insulted several of us. And this is not the first thread that you insulted people.

And Im saying this. You can get a much better quality spring done locally at a truck shop. Dont need to buy from fancy boutique store on the net unless your shopping for a dress to the party as well.A new spring can be built from what you bring them.

As I said,truck spring shop uses only the best quality steel . Dont really know what the hell your buying over the net,probably chinese

Avoid the shipping;buy local!

And Im saying this. You can get a much better quality spring done locally at a truck shop. Dont need to buy from fancy boutique store on the net unless your shopping for a dress to the party as well.A new spring can be built from what you bring them.

As I said,truck spring shop uses only the best quality steel . Dont really know what the hell your buying over the net,probably chinese

Avoid the shipping;buy local!

I don't doubt it. You've said it numerous times in this thread so you've been heard. For me, I don't feel like putzing around with all that right now, so for me the best option was ESPO. They get great reviews, most seem to like the quality, I'm sure they'll be a fine option for me as well as for others. If someone wants to check out a truck shop, I'm sure that's a great option too.

If rearching is done properly and they are retempered I think rearched springs are better than new.Consider a lot of springs today are from Mexico and China. I myself would rather have good old american steel. Mopar Performance springs are mexican junk nowadays. If you do opt for new springs check out Espo.

Read back; I said "highness" when you insulted several of us. And this is not the first thread that you insulted people.

Whatever dude. Again, I was not talking about ANYBODY. I was talking about "BS stupid advice" and I stand behind it. Put your big girl pants on and pull them up tight. Stop acting like little miss victim here because you swung first.

Now, back to the point at hand. The reason I am so vehmently against rearching is EXACTLY the reason Karl spoke of above. High mileage leaf springs have been through maybe hundreds of thousands of cycles in their life time. Steel DOES fatigue. I am not gonna come on here and recommend anyone rearch some sagging, worn out fatigued all up leaf springs, when you can buy them brand new for cheaper than it will cost to have yours rearched....and that's IF you can find somebody that still knows how to do it. It's just not a good decision, no matter how much you "wanna support the economy" or any other blah blah blah. The bottom line is, I don't want to be responsible for givin somebody advice and then have their **** break and hurt them, or someone else on the road. Some people just cannot see the bigger picture no matter how bright a light you shine on them. It is simply not cost effective to rearch springs when there are NEW HIGH PERFORMANCE spring packs available for 300 bucks and less shipped to your door. Tell you what. I am helping out at a friend's transmission shop. Here's what we would charge IF we did it.

1.0 hrs. to remove and replace springs. $75.00

1.0 hrs. to disassemble and reassemble spring packs. $75.00

3.0 hrs. to rearch and measure EACH individual leaf. $225.00

Oh and don't forget these. Let's say you can have them at cost....but we usually mark stuff 30% minimum. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-5-2105G/ $47.95

That makes the grand total to have springs rearched in a professional shop $422.95 and that is in a shop that charges "only" 75 bucks an hour for labor when the going rate around here is 100 or more. Also not included are the little nuts and bolts that always strip and break on old rusted crap. Rearching springs is not a very fiscally smart decision. If that hurts anybodys feelings, I sure am sorry. Have your springs rearched if you want. IMO it's just a dumb thing to do.

And btw, we would use 100% American made springs if we chose to replace them.

I agree a hundred bajillion times about the American made springs. I don't know about your steel assessment, though. Think about this. Springs are made from spring steel. It's already been tempered. You're talking about rearching and tempering worn spring steel. Notice I did not say retempering. Because steel that has been tempered, does not lose the hardness, it only loses strength through fatigue and that cannot be restored through a second tempering. Tempering hardend steel even more and makes a fatigued spring even more brittle, IMO. I think the only way to acheive what you're really talking about there is to melt down the steel and start all over.....but I could be wrong.

If rearching is done properly and they are retempered I think rearched springs are better than new.Consider a lot of springs today are from Mexico and China. I myself would rather have good old american steel. Mopar Performance springs are mexican junk nowadays. If you do opt for new springs check out Espo.

No Im not talking about re-arching. Im talking about a brand new spring built by a truck shop. Your the only one still discussing re-arching. I dropped that A WHILE AGO.

I guess Selkirk spring has your shop by the ball's on price...

No Im not talking about re-arching. Im talking about a brand new spring built by a truck shop. Your the only one still discussing re-arching. I dropped that A WHILE AGO.

I guess Selkirk spring has your shop by the ball's on price...

Good then use them.

-
Back