Leaf springs?

-

Man-on-wheels

Reaction score
Hey fellow Mopar maniacs,

My brother and I Just bought a 1971 Dodge Dart (he's on his way to get it 11 hours away) that we're going to make a street/strip car with. We have a complete bone stock 1978 440 with the 727 transmission and the car came with a big block 400 that's in pieces and needs to be rebuilt. It also comes with a forged aftermarket stroker crankshaft that is supposed to make the 400 into a 472ci. I need to find out more information about the stroker crankshaft and which other components I need to use to make it work correctly. So basically, the car will be getting either a completely rebuilt 440 (built mildly) or the 472ci stroker big block completely rebuilt.

Originally the car came with a 318, I'm not sure what the stock rear end was but now it has the 8 3/4. We know that it's a posi but we're not sure what the gear ratio is yet. We're hoping that its between a 3.55 and a 3.91.

To get to my question, I'm wondering if we should change the leaf springs? We are planning on getting a spring relocation kit and installing larger wheel tubs so we're able to hopefully put a 10" tire under it. It will be roughly a 75% street and 25% strip car that will hopefully run mid to high 11s. Which springs would you recommend? And why?

Thanks in advance for any information, suggestions for recommendations!

1971-36.jpg

1971-14.jpg

1971-20.jpg

1971-30.jpg

I put Mopar performance leafs in my 69 from summit. 2800lb. Had a bad review but I figured I would try them. Appear to be great quality,especially for the money. I'm running a built 383 with about 400-425 hp at the rear wheels and they defiantly help the power get to the ground. I put 255s on mine but with the leaf relocation kit you may be able to get wider in there. Other folks will chime in who have done that.

Thanks /72Scamp! I was looking at those, how is the ride? Does the back of the car feel really stiff? When I had my 68 dart years ago the factory wheel tubs were cut out but the leaf springs were in the factory location and I could barely fit a 285/60/15 McCreary on it, which are now called American racers. The tread width is 9.5". That's what we're hoping to fit on this 71 for the street. But when we take it to the drag strip I would love to put a 28/10.5/15 slick on it. We're hoping to make about the same amount of power with our 440 and on top of that it's getting a NOS plate under the carburetor that has changeable jets up to about 250 HP.

My brother wants to learn how to build an engine and a nice street/strip car. Since I am paralyzed and cannot use my hands I will just supervise and talk him through the assembly process of the engine since I have built several. I will be the brains and he will be the hands. LOL!

I appreciate your input! Those are the exact springs that I had my eyes on already. Who knows though, this 71 was originally a small block car so if the springs seem to be OK, level on both sides and not to weak we might just clean them up, paint them and reuse them. We are on a tight budget.

The car that we bought is extremely straight with very little rust, the dashboard is original and looks great, it already has an aftermarket shifter and comes with a big block 400 that's nearly complete it just needs to be rebuilt. It is going to make a nice builder! I love the fact that it already has an 8 3/4 rear end with a posi unit too!

Again, I appreciate your suggestion! Have a great day!

Last edited:
Well congrats on the new purchase. That is awesome to see you and your brother building a car together. My father and I built mine because it was my first muscle car and he has been building his own for a long time. It was a great bonding experience. I think the leafs ride great. Their not soft but their not jaw breaking stiff either. When I bought my car they were junk and spongy as hell. I put the same pair on my 72 scamp and have never had a problem. Good luck with your build I wish you guys the best. Make sure to post some pics of your progress!

Well congrats on the new purchase. That is awesome to see you and your brother building a car together. My father and I built mine because it was my first muscle car and he has been building his own for a long time. It was a great bonding experience. I think the leafs ride great. Their not soft but their not jaw breaking stiff either. When I bought my car they were junk and spongy as hell. I put the same pair on my 72 scamp and have never had a problem. Good luck with your build I wish you guys the best. Make sure to post some pics of your progress!

I would definitely change the springs. The Mopar Super Stock spring is a good spring that works. They might sit higher than you want but there's ways to lower it. With a good suspension set up front and rear and a good drag radial you will hit your target ET without moving the springs.

Thank you all! Yeah, I'm really excited about doing it even though I can't use my hands, I'm doing all of the planning. I was born and raised in Tucson Arizona but I moved to Springfield to be close to my sister. My brother that lives in Tucson is 11 years older than me and growing up he had a 1973 Plymouth barracuda (which he still has). He also has a restored 1970 barracuda, a restored 1971 barracuda and is almost finished restoring his 1970 Plymouth road runner. His 1973 barracuda is a race car. I've tried posting pictures of our project car in a reply without any luck. I will try again. Thanks again guys for all of your advice!

Hello man-on-wheels, great that you are embarqing on a project with your bro, wish my brother was into cars as I am! Best of luck and Have Fun!
Mr. 72 scamp, did you say that those mopar performance springs kicked up the back rake just a little, and that the ride was not to hard? I'm having to replace the original springs on my '70 Dart and wanted to bring it up a bit, but not ride too hard! Thanks!

It only raised the back up because the old springs were sagging so hard. I don't think the ride was stiff at all. I was pretty impressed with the ride quality

And what kind of shocks do you have on it? There is one gent on here speaking sooo highly of Bilsteins, do you think they are necessary? I've only have a 225 engine in my dart! Thank you for your help!

Ya there was a big argument about shocks. Bilstein makes great shocks but I went the cheaper route on my 72 /6 scamp and my 69 big block valiant. I went with the kyb gas adjust shocks and I love them. Great on both cars

Thanks 69dartwant! I'm excited about it but it's going to be such a long slow process! I'm sure it will be frustrating at times but once it's finished it will all be worth it! I can't wait to see it!

Man-on-wheels, you are quite welcome, as I admire your courage! For sure it will be a slow process, as it always is. Just today I was working out a transmission issue on my '66 satellite with a much more seasoned friend/mechanic, and after the work we go to start it and nothing! Tal about pulling your hair out. He thinks its the starter relay which he put the wires back onto, I'm not sure, so it's back at it tomorrow. By no means am I comparing your undertaking, with me being able to do the work, you are the brave one! God bless you and yours!

I appreciate your kind words 69dartwant! Is your car an automatic? If so you might want to check the neutral safety switch. We found a set of frame connectors for our dart last night, a friend of mine went and picked them up for me. Saved us a bunch of money! Pretty soon I'll be ordering the wheel tubs and a spring relocation kit. We need to make room for some bigger tires! I'm hoping to make it over to my brother's house this weekend to see the car in person. Anyways, thanks again and god bless you too!

-
Back