Leak at speedo cable.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Not a big leak were the speedo cable goes at the tranny but the wife does not like it.How hard is this to fix? and will all the fluid leak out when replacing the seal.

Unfortunately that's a leak prone area on torqueflite's. There are 2 seals in the speedo housing. The main outer O-ring and the speedo pinion gear seal. The outer seal doesn't usually cause a problem but it can. It's usually the inner speedo gear seal that leaks and I've had problems with numerous ones I couldn't stop from leaking until I found an updated seal that does a great job of sealing it up. It's a real easy fix. All you have to do is unscrew the speedo cable and take out the speedo pinion adapter (one bolt). Remove the speedo pinion gear and replace the internal seal and re-assemble it making sure to get the speedo adapter clocked right. While your there you might as well also replace the outer seal cause sometimes even if they aren't leaking once you take them apart it disturbs them and they start leaking. Use a little light grease on the seals when re-assembling them. If you jack the car up from the rear only you won't loose much fluid at all cause it'll all run into the main case. It generally takes longer to jack the car up and let it back down than replacing the seal.

I buy the seals from www.bulkpart.com Unfortunately they don't have the updated speedo gear seal listed. You have to call them to order it. Call Mike and tell him what your problem is and he'll know what seal it takes to upgrade. If you have any trouble getting one let me know. I can also scan a picture of the speedo housing parts showing the seals and post it if you need it.

Unfortunately that's a leak prone area on torqueflite's. There are 2 seals in the speedo housing. The main outer O-ring and the speedo pinion gear seal. The outer seal doesn't usually cause a problem but it can. It's usually the inner speedo gear seal that leaks and I've had problems with numerous ones I couldn't stop from leaking until I found an updated seal that does a great job of sealing it up. It's a real easy fix. All you have to do is unscrew the speedo cable and take out the speedo pinion adapter (one bolt). Remove the speedo pinion gear and replace the internal seal and re-assemble it making sure to get the speedo adapter clocked right. While your there you might as well also replace the outer seal cause sometimes even if they aren't leaking once you take them apart it disturbs them and they start leaking. Use a little light grease on the seals when re-assembling them. If you jack the car up from the rear only you won't loose much fluid at all cause it'll all run into the main case. It generally takes longer to jack the car up and let it back down than replacing the seal.

I buy the seals from www.bulkpart.com Unfortunately they don't have the updated speedo gear seal listed. You have to call them to order it. Call Mike and tell him what your problem is and he'll know what seal it takes to upgrade. If you have any trouble getting one let me know. I can also scan a picture of the speedo housing parts showing the seals and post it if you need it.

Great info. Should be in the tech section, with some pics. Thanks.

Thanksss Fishy,pics would be good.I will call this Mike and get the same seals as you sounds like you got the right seals.

Here we go. I added in some text to point out the offending seal. As I mentioned earlier the outer O-ring can also leak, just not as likely but since your taking it apart you might as well do both.

Snake if your not familiar with the speedo housing adapter you need to clean things good and take note of the position it's installed. If you look at it in the pic on the upper left side you'll see the adapter housing has sets of numbers stamped on it. Those numbers correlate to which speedo gear you have. For instance if your speedo gear is a 33 tooth you align the slot next to the 32-38 tooth selection on the adapter with the raised line at the 6 O'clock position.

BTW: A little trick that makes it easier to install the speedo housing is start by installing it at the highest markings (39-45) and then rotate it to where it needs to be. Hope that makes sense.

Torqueflite speedo housing offending seal.JPG

Very nice Fishy68 thanksss a bunch,I may have missed it,but how do I know how many teeth are on my gear,I see a few numbers but how do I realy know.Maybe someone has munkeyed with this befor and did not set things up right.So far this is the last leak to fix.Cindy sayssss I want no leaks.

Count the teeth. Also from now on take note of how the housing is installed so you put it back the same way. That way you don't have to count the teeth on the gear.

This thread should be saved for reference.I have this exact problem on my 70 Road Runner and this is super helpful.

It should be mentioned that the big O ring on the adapter is not a standard O ring. It's made of a special material that's designed to swell once it's exposed to the trans lube. This makes it seal tighter but also makes it a non-reusable part. If you reuse it you run the risk of damaging it when you put it back in. The proper O ring is red. I tried to get one from a Mopar parts department & the parts guy said I had to buy the complete adapter (I think he just didn't know how to read the parts books or something!!). I was able to get the proper O ring from a local parts house for les than $2 and even ordered a couple of spares to keep handy. Of course, I've got no idea where they are now! :angry2:

It should be mentioned that the big O ring on the adapter is not a standard O ring. It's made of a special material that's designed to swell once it's exposed to the trans lube. This makes it seal tighter but also makes it a non-reusable part. If you reuse it you run the risk of damaging it when you put it back in. The proper O ring is red. I tried to get one from a Mopar parts department & the parts guy said I had to buy the complete adapter (I think he just didn't know how to read the parts books or something!!). I was able to get the proper O ring from a local parts house for les than $2 and even ordered a couple of spares to keep handy. Of course, I've got no idea where they are now! :angry2:

That's a great tip,thanks.
I'll order a couple extras so I can spend hours looking for them next time I need them as well...:-s

I saw that this had a reply so thought I would jump back in No leak at all,you the man fishy.\\:D/

-
Back