leak at trans at shifter

-

razorback

Reaction score
ok i put my 727 in and put some fluid in it..i noticed it was dripping slowly, figured it was the flare fitting i had to modify..but after closer inspection it is coming from under the shifter arm. is this normal? whats the easiest way to fix this? i really really dont wanna pull the trans out and do it. any tips?

There's a shifter seal in the case and a smaller one for the kickdown lever. Could be one or both. They make a tool for pulling the shifter seal without removing the pan but you'll likely just want to drop the pan. Drop the VB and drive the seal out from the bottom. Replace it and while you're at it do the smaller one around the kickdown lever. You have to remove an e-clip and slide the KD shaft out to get to it. Lube up the shift seal before you replace the VB to reduce the chance of damaging it.

It can be done with the trans installed - it just won't be loads of fun. The hardest part will be getting the new seal back in.

thanks, i did some research and thats it. wish i knew that before i put trans in car..i ordered the tool, hopefully its not as much of a pain in the *** as i fear. the seal was like 7 bucks with tax.

changed it today, was a pain in the ***. the tool didnt work after about 5 mins of trying. so i dropped pan, and valve body and did it that way. to get the seal back in i used 2 big washers and a bolt/nut and just tightened them down til it sealed the gap. havent filled it up yet but it had better work.

-
Back