leaking 904/999

-

fstfish66

Reaction score
ok,,im sure this has been asked a million times,,,i have a 999/904 in my street rod,,it had a chrome deep pan,,couldnt stop the leaking,,,changed it to a non chrome steel pan,,useing the new plastic gasket with the steel gromets around the bolt holes,,,stilll leaks,,,,seems to be getting worse,, sitting over the winter,,,it has an after market dip stick,, i keep thinking it has to much fluid in it,,,im about to go to a cork casket,,and mopar tranny gasket sealer,,,
any thoughts????
i have that same gasket in my cummins truck,no leaks,,,,thought it would of been the answer,,

thats my next trial,,,,,, i would of thought the new tech gasket from mopar would of been the ticket,,,guess its cork and,,,,,sealer,,,,,,or maybe a 4 spped will fix it,,,like in my cuda

Many of the thin steel pans come from the manufacturer warpped. There no fixes for that. Even if you carefully rebend the pan it will flex when you bolt it on. Try a thicker pan rail, usually an aluminum pan. Mopar has a thick pan gasket, silicone over steel. This is the best

yup,, thats the gasket im currently using,, i thouhgt it would be the answer,,,
ill get to it soon,,,thanks all,,

my 904 leaked as soon as I added fluid from the pan gasket. I used ultra blue silicone on a new gasket which stopped the leak. I hate to silicone trans pans and this is not my normal practice but it was the only thing that worked.

i hear ya man,,i was ata mopar swap last year,,, and i seen a guy selling MOPAR trans pan sealer,,,made me think about mine at that time it had the new pan and gasket on it,,,,wasnt leaking,,,, glad i bought a tube,,maybe it will fix it with a new cork gasket,,,, i have it apart next week,, when ireturn from auto fair,,,thanks man,, i also do not want to have to use sealer on a tans pan,,,the factory doesnt,,

IMO When you have that pan off, you may want to try to dimple the bolt holes outwards a bit. When you tighten the bolts it will apply pressure to a greater area. I just did my 904 no leaks. I sprayed/used copper spray a gasket on the cork gasket.

thanks man,,, just back from aut ofair,, and hope to fix the trans this weeek ill try that copper gasket spray,,,thanks again,,,

U can try the spray gasket adheasives in a can, hopefully u wont ever have to take it off, as they work great, but are a b***h to get off and clean..........kim

i have tried all types of gaskets with out sealer,,even a leather type gasket,, the new style from mopar,,if i spray on adhesive and it doesnt leak,,its been off so many times i wont want to take it off again,,,if it does leak i may spring for the thick aluminum pan,,,but its to costly for a street rod,,in my opinion,,but some times you got to do what you got to do,,

thanks every one for your input,,,,

-
Back