leaking from vent of 65 833!?!?!

-

Hipo65

Yeah I'm "That Guy"
Reaction score
Hey guys need som help! Why the f@$k! Is my fresh 1965 833 when it gets warm & cruising for a while it puks gear oil from the vent!?!?!?!?! Its not over full I don't understand it? Wrong fluid? It jas g-l5 80-w90 valvoline gear oil in it. HELP!

Hello, I am not sure about the leaking but you should not run GL5 lube as it is too slick and can cause poor shifting. I rebuild 4 speed Mopar transmissions here in my shop and always use GL4 80 - 90 that I order through NAPA. I would go back and double check that it is not even a little overfilled as this will cause this leak.

Make sure the vent is not restricted and is free to vent pressure. When fluid gets hot it will build pressure. If it is not free to vent it will vent at the weakest spot.

Vent is clear for sure. It is also not over full ive got it hot then popped open fill plug & let it run out till it about stops.

Ok gear lube switched to 4 qts of 140w GL-4 oil per service manual. It did help shifting but dam thing still burps oil from the vent?!?!?!?! Is tjere somthing I missed? I know the 66-up tranz have tin baffle below the vent but do the 64-65 833's have somthing like that too?? I cannot remember!

Ok, problom solved found out thease old gear boxes need a shield below the vent! When I got this trans it had already been gone through at some point in its life. Apparently ir wasn't put back in then! & I wasn't the wiser being my 1st a833. So got a baffle & gaskets (again!) Pulled it, opened it pit in baffle re assembled it & works great & no vent leaks!!!! Yay!

I'll look in the AM but I must be the ONLY one to use a GL6 gear oil.

I wouldn't use a GL4 in my lawn mower.

I'll look in the AM but I must be the ONLY one to use a GL6 gear oil.

I wouldn't use a GL4 in my lawn mower.
Old school blocker rings need old school "tacky" gl4 lube. It sure shifts easyer with the gl4 140 then the gl5 80w-90 I had in there 1st.

-
Back