Leaking fuel fittings

-

Joep

Reaction score
Hey guys I just did a carb swap and had to change some fuel lines, but I can't keep the fittings from leaking. I've been told not to use any thread sealant because it'll get into the carb. Any tips?

Could you give us more details on the fittings that your having trouble with. AN, Flare, straight, tapered?? Thanks

Yes I'm sorry, I believe they are tapered threads. They're the fittings that have barbs on on side for a hose to connect too and threads on the other. I'm sorry I don't know the proper terms for all these I've never really looked at the names of them.

Maybe you have the wrong fittings screwed together. Some pipe fittings sizes will "sorta" go into some inverted flare and vice versa

It would pay to "learn you fittings."

The major types in these old girls, and I'm talking what they CAME with meaning U.S, SAE stuff is

pipe thread

inverted flare

SAE flare (45 degree)

Some proprietary fittings AKA power steering and A/C hoses
==================================

Aftermarket you can add AN (flare) which is different than SAE (45 degree). AN has different thread sizes in some cases than SAE, and has a 37 degree flare. In aftermarket automotive, AN is often aluminum or other alloy, or sometimes steel, and in "tractor" / industrial speak is often known as "JIC"

Pipe thread is tapered and "called out" by a given "nominal" ID. IE "1/8 pipe" is roughly 3/8 OD

Inverted flare is used mostly on brake fittings and fuel, and is "called out" by tubing size, but brake tubes often have special non-standard nuts such as in the master cylinder, prop valve, etc, so that they must be assembled (OEM) properly

Fuel line is most often 5/16 with standard 5/16 inverted flare fittings.

Never, if you can avoid it, use "compression" fittings on anything automotive. Certainly NOT brake lines, and vibration is reason enough on anything else.

For thread sizes and other specs, google such things as "inverted flare thread size" etc

A sample

myfui.com/images/Thread%20and%20Port%20Guide.pdf

Still getting info is like pullin dang teeth around here.

Is it the fitting at the carburetor? The fuel pump? On the neighbor's dog's butt? I mean seriously, help us out here.

What KIND of carburetor if it is the carb fitting? What KIND of fuel pump if it is the pump fitting?

Generally speaking, the threads in carburetor bodies is standard SAE bolt thread. For example, Carters and Edelbrocks have a 5/8 - 18 threaded fuel inlet. Holley four barrels I think are 3/4.

Exactly WHERE is the leak? Between the carburetor and the fitting? What KIND of fitting do you have? It's no secret that pictures help.

The flare fittings that go directly into the carb (850dp) sealed fine and don't leak. It's just two fittings between the regulator and the dual feed line into the carb that won't seal. View attachment image.jpg. It wouldn't let me upload the other picture but it's the same fitting. I believe they are regular pipe thread

Teflon tape.... just make sure it doesn't get past the end of the nipple and it won't get into the carb.

I have the permatex thread sealant paste. Would that work?

I put some permatex thread sealant on the upper half of the threads and that seemed to work! Thanks guys

Yeah that appears to be 1/4" pipe thread. All pipe thread requires sealant as said. I find Teflon tape works best, but I have used RTV in a pinch. Teflon tape is the correct thing though.

Glad you got it fixed. The pipe sealant works also, but be careful to keep it away from the end of the threads. This way it will also not get into the carb.

-
Back