Leaking Heater Core

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Today I went to my 65 Barracuda this afternoon and noticed the heater core barfed antifreeze all over the passenger floor board. Now I get to learn a new skill. My question is what do I need to do to test this? Turn the heater on and look for leaks? Or should it weep? Any help would be awesome. My luck has been totally sucking the last few days.

Get a good quality Htr Core & replace it. You can pull the hoses off the heater core at the firewall and install a bypass tube. The correct size deep socket works nicely. This will buy you time and allow you to drive car w/o heat. GL, OK

Try looking where the hoses attach first for leaks. It is a fairly easy fix but you have to go under the dash to get to it. In my dart I had to take out the heater duct (Box), but it was pretty straight forward after that. I found a new core on E bay... GOOD LUCK!

So I got the heater core out and found some corrosion on the heater core fins. I decided to try pouring clean water into the core and there was all kinds of crude in there. I also found that after filling the core and capping with my thumbs the tube the water level went down. At least a small leak if not more once under pressure. I am getting a replacement tomorrow Advance has it for 34.99. I also need to replace the heater hoses I had to cut them to get them off.

Ya, on Ebay they are 50-60 bucks plus shipping.
Checker Auto has them for 34.99

Good news folks. I just finished flushing the radiator. I bypassed the heater core because it is new and I did not want to foul it. The water was dirty but not as bad as I would have assumed. I started by draining the old fluid. Then I rinsed with water. Then I added the flush and water. I ran it for 30 minutes instead of the 10 in recommends. Then I drained again added water. Ran again for 15 minutes. Then I rinsed again with clean water and everything seems pretty clean. I am letting it air dry for the moment. Then I am going to put the new heater core new heater hoses and hope that everything is good again.

-
Back