Leaking Master Cylinder

-

christopher.brandon

Reaction score
I installed a new master cylinder on my 74 Valiant, and there is traces of brake fluid that seems to be leaking from the cover. The seal looks great and the clip on top seems tight. Any suggestions on what else it could be?

Thanks

100_1442-Copy.jpg

make sure it is not over full, clean it off really good and have someone pump the brakes hard several times while you look for leaks

I had the same problem with mine. I did a mod to the cap and filled the air vent dimple in the rim so the rubber gasket could seal. I drilled a small hole in the cap near the top of the dome for the air vent. My car will never see rain so no big deal with the hole in the side of the cap above the rubber seal. I also used a tie strap to pull the steel band and cap down more. It works, I also put a thin strip of beer can metel with a paper towel between the master cyl and the strip of beer can metal to catch any fluid that got by the gasket. Its kinda like a diaper for the master cyl.

Attachments

• 1297460411637.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 151
"Remanufactured" master cylinders, like most other "remanufactured" parts, are usually junk. Get a new master cylinder instead. They're still easily available and not too expensive.

-
Back