Leaky oil pan plug

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Cant seem to stop my drain plug from dripping oil.

Its a brand new Summit 360 pan. Drain plug came with a white nylon gasket, it leaked, so I went to the store and got a copper one, it leaks. Don't dare tighten the thing any tighter, don't want to strip out my new pan.

Does anyone make a drain plug gasket that's a softer material, or with an o-ring or something that will seal better?

I also got the summit 360 pan
If you look close my plug bung is welded at an angle to the pan causing the plug to not seat. I had to tighten the piss out of it and it still leak a drip or 2 now and then. It was bad enough that I thought about sending it back but I wanted the engine in so on it went and now I'm stuck with it...

I may try stacking 2 of the washers under the plug.

Good luck and let us know if you get it to stop.

See if you can find a drain plug washer that is coated in rubber....

Whenever I place an order with CI, I get one of these for a spare. Rubber center with an outer steel washer, the rubber cannot be overtightened because of the washer. I have before used a small "O" ring with the washer and worked for a few times.....

gskt.JPG

EVERY time I change my oil I put a 1/8 bead of rtv around the plug where the head meets the threads and I don't have to wonder if it's going to seal or even give much thought to how tight the plug is. (just snug is fine)
It's a ton easier on the plug threads, and never ever leaks.

I had to buy a little assortment pack to get the one I was looking for.
It's similar to the one above.
Steel with a rubber center section.
Seems to doing the trick, hasn't leaked any yet.

IMG_1337.JPG

-
Back