Leaky Thermostat Housing...

-

Demon416

A-Body
Reaction score
What is the best way to get a leak proof seal between the thermostat housing and aluminum intake? I've always had trouble with this. I'm installing a billet aluminum housing w/ O-ring this time around. Just wondered if anyone has had any success with this troublesome area. Thanks in advance.

If it was one of those chrome pieces from Mancini the best fix is to throw it away and use a factory piece or a billet piece like you have.

And do not OVER tighten it, it may be warped. Resurface it on some 600 grit in a figure 8 and see what it looks like.

5258: I've used chrome and factory. Always had seepage.

If it was one of those chrome pieces from Mancini the best fix is to throw it away and use a factory piece or a billet piece like you have.

Thanks Longgone. Have you used the billet housing yourself? Does it need sealant?

Thanks Longgone. Have you used the billet housing yourself? Does it need sealant?

I have not, but I've read good reviews about the billet piece. It requires no sealant. I've always used the factory pieces and have had no issues whatsoever.

I have also had the same issue with stock t-stat covers. I have found that it works better for me to use some sealant and let it set 24 hours before I add coolant to it.
Matt

I run the Mancini Racing billet housing with a thin film of sealant on both sides of gasket on my aluminum intake. Does not leak a drop.

-
Back