Leaky transmission

-
Reaction score
727 with a T/A reverse pattern manual valve body seemed to be leaking @ pan gasket, replaced gasket & pan, made 2 passes then leaked. Chased the leak to a shifter shaft seal, removed trans, then v/b, replaced seal. Noticed there was no gasket between separater plate & trans case, is there supposed to be? Made 1 run, leaked. Ideas, thoughts or any help would be appreciated.

Might be leaking from the neutral safety start switch or the coolant line fittings into the case. Possibility too that you hurt the seal when installing it.

if you unbolt the trans mount and raise the transmission up you will see a steel plate about three inches long about 3/4 inch wide with two screws holding it on, they sometimes leak there also.

if you unbolt the trans mount and raise the transmission up you will see a steel plate about three inches long about 3/4 inch wide with two screws holding it on, they sometimes leak there also.

Seems to be dry in this area also, appears to be around the lines, shifter shaft seal, but all are new & don't leak unless in gear. Very hard to tell

Shift shaft seals only leak when the car is sitting still and shut off. Thats the only time the fluid level is up high enough to get there. Think about it and you'll see that the fluid level is fully in the pan when the car is running, sssooo,, I'd say you have a bad connection at the cooling lines, or a leaking pressure port plug, cause it sounds like you're telling us that it leaks, while it's under pressure.
My 2 penny's worth!
Let us know?

I'm also wondering if I am overfilling. Trans has a Lokar flex tube & stick.
How much dip stick should be into the pan below pan rail?

Sorry I don't know an exact depth for the tranny stick, but it should'nt be too hard to figure. The Lokar flexable stick was a bugger to get sealed in my Cuda, finally figured out that it was leaking from the pinch nut at the base. I had to take it apart and silicone the thing to death. Another thing was, the base wouldn't allow the tube to seat fully 'til I ground one side away for clearence at the trans case.

Thanks to all, I had 2 problems, cracked cooling line & the Lokar dip stick was pushed all the way into the handle making the transmission about 2.5 qts too full A operating temp. Again thank you all.

Glad to hear you got it Steve. I know I'm late but I thought I'd ad that there is no gaskets anywhere in the valve body on a Torqueflite.

-
Back