Leaky windshield gasket on the Dodge

-

RabidScott

Reaction score
First off:
It's a new windshield with a new gasket

We just got our first rain here in KOMMIEFORNIA and el neuvo Darto had a puddle on the driver's side.

I suspect the vindow scheel and not wiper seals because its moist on the top front edge of the dash in addition to the wet floor

I vaguely once recall hearing someone on the interwebs talk about a liquid that was dripped into the offending areas that sealed it up after it dried.

Again, the windshield and gasket are new and seated correctly.

Oh wise and powerful internet, please reveal your secrets!!
aaagh.gif

SJNN2276.JPG

Are you sure it's the WS gasket? It may be the WS wiper pivot seal leaking.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's the WS gasket? It maybe the WS wiper pivot seal leaking.

Could be the seals leaking too, but it's also at the front edge of the dash as noted in the original post. Maybe it's that special anti-gravity rain we get sometimes here.
umbrella.gif

Unless you have a LOT of rust around the WS gasket that didn't repaired, the gasket normally doesn't leak. Most of the time A body owners ignore the WS arm gaskets. Just about all of the A bodies I've owned leak around those seals. They are a PITA to replace, you have to be a contortionist to get under the dash.

Yep,using sealer when installing a new gasket is a must. If the car was ever in an accident the widow opening may be tweaked and that maybe why it will not seal.

Maybe use a garden hose with a steady light stream of water and start low( around the wiper pivots) and work your way up slowly to the roof. Checking every couple of inches for leaks inside. At least you should then be able to narrow down the " bad spot".

I had same issue after a windshield gasket replacement.
Water also was entering from 2 additional places.
1) wiper pivot seals
2) Rusty cowl.
Seals were do able. Cowl was more difficult, we noticed the daylight around the air intake when we removed the heater box.

It's an almost rust free California car with no rust in the window channels, a few tiny bubbles appearing in the passenger side lower quarter.

We didn't use any sealant with the rubber seal because we've done other windshields that use rubber seals before with no leaks, this one is a first for me with the new seal. I don't really want to try taking it back out again.

I've done the wiper seals before in a Duster I had and if I can eliminate the problem by sealing the windshield I'd be stoked, otherwise I'll do them.

Like I said, I read of some dudes using something but that was on DodgeCharger.com (I think) like 20 years ago when I had '68 Charger but it wasn't relevant to me then. I had to do a windshield on the car and the seal on that one never leaked.

Someone suggested this:
Permatex® Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer

I might order it up and give it a try, although I'm gonna try the garden hose idea like @Dave 74 Dart suggested first to make sure the cowl or wiper seals aren't leaking. :D
I always like to confirm where it is getting in first, as water can be a real b*tch to track down sometimes. If you do use the Permatex, please follow up with how well it works as many of us will soon be in your shoes!! Good luck!

I turned off heaterand duct taped the hose into driverside window, shop vac exhaust blowing into passenger compartment. Not on a dart, but was enough air to make bubbles with soapy water. Compressed air blow gun around windshield will blow bubbles too.

Kendog said it. I went through the same thing with my 1972 dart. i installed it dry with a new gasket and never could get it to stop leaking. i squirted every thing known to man around the gasket and nothing worked. Everyone said to pull it back out and use the 3M glazing and bedding compound in the channels of the gasket and it worked. I had to buy another new gasket though because i had so much silicone and junk stuck to the other one trying to stop the leak that it wouldnt come off, so i wasted 1 new gasket.

-
Back