Learned a new trick tonight

-

de69cuda

Reaction score
My wife called me saying that our 98 Dodge van 1500 with the 5.2L engine wouldn't start when she went to start the van after picking up our oldest after cross-country practice. I got there, as I was on my way home, and after trying to start it myself with no luch decided to tow her out of the red zone she had parked in waiting for practice to be over. The engine would sputter as if it was trying to start but it wouldn't stay running - almost as if it wasn't getting any gas. I was thinking the fuel pump has gone out and was going over my options on trying to at least move the van to a parking space until i can return with something bigger to tow it home. Meanwhile, the band teacher stopped by and asked if anything was wrong and after talking with him for a few minutes he suggested hitting the fuel tank with a mallet to get the fuel pump working as someone is cranking the engine. He got one from one of the drum players and we gave it a try - and it worked - thankfully.

Now I get to swap out a fuel pump! I had never heard that one before...

Sounds like there was crap on the sock on the bottom of the pump and you were able to knock a little loose, or there is a really loose ground wire.

My buddys dakota did the same thing, I stuck a air hose in the fuel nozzle and gave it a short blast to knock the metal screen off. It got him home and he changed the pump.

My 96 dakota years ago when the pump was starting to go bad would only run right if it had over 1/4 tank of gas.

I have dun this to chevy starters before lol, Glad you got it home..

I have heard of that before, but didnt know it actually worked. Good information though, incase I ever need it.

Great job! I have been using that trick for many many years now after a veteran mechanic showed me it. Mostly on gm products lol. Working as a mechanic you end up pushing alot of cars, I always make sure to try that one before having to push. Sometimes you get lucky.

When you get intermittent fuel pump problems in the plastic tanks,its a common temporary fix to get it to the shop.It just confirms that the pump assembly needs replacing,drop the tank or take off the pickup bed,to repair it.If you check,it might have a drain plug to remove the gas,to make it eazier,mrmopartech

old trick we used when i work for crysler/dodge dealers.we hated to push cars. i drove my 95' neon all winter this way,every two weeks give a wack on the tank.had to replace in spring when out side temp. got hot

I use to do that to a Dodge van I had, by the way the fuel pump will quit again.

Fuel pumps are now made with plated plastic for the commutator. (on armature ,what the brushes run against) The brushes don't wear out, the plating wears thin like soap and flakes off. Now it,s russian roulette til it stops on the dead spot. You tap the tank and sometimes you get it to go. It runs but the brush now hits the plating after the dead spot making it bigger and then all the tapping in the world won,t help. If it goes for you get it fixed as your on your grace period.

-
Back