Learned something new today

-

geminimotors

Reaction score
I’ve never seen or heard of a rear speaker option for early Barracudas. Installing carpet in my 65 today I found this on the passenger side. Im totally averse to cutting speaker holes in my doors or trunk divider, but this gives me ideas. Anyone have a photo of the correct speaker grille?
A346EC05-30CA-4E19-85FB-F786D005B5F5.jpeg
49A6E74E-82AE-443A-8E58-4780C04CD602.jpeg

Might muffel sound but I wonder if the metal infront of what would be the speaker opening should stay and some relatively sound transmitting fabric covers it?

Might muffel sound but I wonder if the metal infront of what would be the speaker opening should stay and some relatively sound transmitting fabric covers it?

Further research has learned me that is for either rear defrost air inlet or speaker- one or the other. My car was luxuriously optioned with neither. I may use that opening for a speaker with a 1965ish grille/cover but the project at hand is the rear seat and carpet trim with their the 47 thousand screw holes under new carpet.

Last edited:
8243472E-ABC6-46CC-B97D-28421D8ADF8D.jpeg
As far as I now there was not a rear speaker option, only a rear fan option.

Last edited:
Looks to be the exact shape of a speaker.

Probably designed that way so there could be a speaker there...........

I know that under the parcel panel of my rear window the sheet metal has cutouts for speakers that weren't used on my car, but they're there............

Further research has learned me that is for either rear defrost air inlet or speaker- one or the other. My car was luxuriously optioned with neither. I may use that opening for a speaker with a 1965ish grille/cover but the project at hand is the rear seat and carpet trim with their the 47 thousand screw holes under new carpet.
years ago I put a generic radio shack speaker in that spot in my 65 (so I could use a reverb system that I found in a chrysler 300). I didn't even use a grill or do any cutting. It sounded fine.

-
Back