Leather Steering Wheel Covers?

-

doc540

Reaction score
"Leather Steering Wheel Cover" - who makes a quality, leather cover for an early ('61) A-Body? Yes, I've looked at a dozen online and Ebay, but who has personal experience with having your THIN factory steering wheel covered and "stitched"? Two steering wheel refurb companies have quoted me $150, and I'd have to send them my wheel. Not going that route, want to stitch it myself. Looking for something similar to this: thanks!
steering wheel wrap1.JPG

Wheelskins, I think that's the name, makes a quality product, but I don't know if they make one sized for our skinny rims. I wrapped my rim in foam before sewing on the cover, to get a thicker, slightly padded feel like a newer car, and that worked fine. But measure the diameter of the wheel and compare it to the ones listed for MGs and other sports cars, like in your picture. If the diameter is the same, the rim thickness is also pretty much the same on all those old cars, so it should fit. It doesn't matter that Mopar wheels are dished and these sports car wheels are flat.

Look up "wheel skins". They will make you a real leather cover to fit your size of wheel, in a variety of colours. Order an extra needle and thread if you want to do a "baseball stitch". Nice product, pretty easy to do.

-
Back