Leave sbp or switch to lbp

-

abodyfan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to put 15 inch rims on my Demon. Should I buy the small bolt pattern 15 inch rally wheels, or should I switch to large bolt pattern. I could use large bolt pattern rally wheels. It would not take much to do, my disc brake set up will accept either large or small. I would have to either buy new axles or have my existing welded and drilled. Just wondering your ideas.

Thanks
Brian

Well if you go to the LBP in later years you'll have a better choice of wheels should you want to change again..
On my Demon I stayed small because I had a lot of rally wheels and liked the look, I bet I have the same discs brakes as you. I also stayed with the 14's.

I hope I didn't make your choice harder......:wack:

Attachments

• raertire1s.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 249
Lbp. Much larger wheel selection and cheaper than the sbp.

X2 LBP.

1. More choices of designs, widths, diameters, materials, offsets.
  2. Less lateral wheel flex when cornering.

Im running the large bolt pattern wheels on mine. Converted the front to lbp disc off of a volare and the rear is a sbp 8 3/4 with the 1 or 1 1/2 inch adapters to go from sbp to lbp. Helps with more clearance near the edges of the springs and helps with the infamous rear looks narrower than the front issue am running 205/65R15's on the front and 275/60R15's on the rear and got almost a inch of clearance between the sidewalls and the springs

View attachment image.jpg

I actually have SBP on the front and LBP on the rear. Over the last year I converted my car to front disks but stayed with the SBP. After that I put a new set of Moser axles in and had to sort out the rear drums.

Though I didn't know until I took it apart, the previous owner of my car had the original A body small bolt axle flanges re drilled for the LBP. Moser used to do that I think, not sure if they do it anymore. If you do go that route, just make sure whoever does it can do it accurately.

For LBP rear brakes you'll need to use the larger of the 10" (10 x 2" shoes) drums or go with 11". The drums are reproduced in either size and are drilled for LBP, the 10 x 1.75" drums are not. You need to get the right backing plates for whichever setup you decide on though.

Also, the LBP rear axle flange sticks out a little farther than the SBP axle. The P.O. solved this issue with a wheel spacer to make up the .25" difference. I was happy to toss those in the trash when I put the Mosers in.

-
Back