LED Dome Light

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
Since my dome light was MIA on my car (no headliner when I bought it) I decided to continue my LED theme, while keeping a fixture that looks the part in the vehicle.

I just got one of these 5" diameter chrome bezel lights and holy crap is it bright. It's not in the car yet, but I bench tested it on a power supply and it lit up the front of the garage. :thumleft:

37led_cw_lit_wm.jpg

The dome light's so bright ya gotta wear shades! (apologies to Timbuk 3)
Nice find. I need four of them for the ragtop (black carpet just soaks up the stock light output).

Yeah, there is a lot of research needed for proper LED applications. I am going to put it in tonight (sans headliner) just to get some light in the car.

If you wind up putting this in, provide yourself with a means of having dim interior lighting, not just super bright on or off. There are times when a lot of light is helpful, but it'll seriously foozle your night vision acuity for at least half an hour (yes) if you turn it on at night, even for a brief period of time, in the middle of a night drive.

I am not the kind of person to ever turn my domes on when I am driving. Many years in the military honed my black-out driving skills (driving with no lights at all), so any kind of light on in the interior screws me all to hell.:banghead:

I even keep my gauge lights turned down.:thumleft:

The light is in, and it does not seem nearly as bright. I think that is partially because I have a moon roof which forces the dome to be a bit farther back in the cab, and partially because I have a high back bench (wrong seat for car) which blocks a lot of the light.

Still, it looks good and I like it.

I sell LED lighting and yes, one millie-second look directly into that LED and good luck driving safely for the next 10 or 20 minutes. It's kinda funny when I do demo's with our 29w Wall pack it never fails everyone looks for a second directly at it and it takes everything in my power not to laugh. Good luck

-
Back