Left hand thread lugs - stay or go?

-
Some crap just needs to be thrown away.

BUT, yeah always a BUT, what if you are doing a restore....will value decrease dramatically replacing all with new RHT?

ups guy is getting tired of stopping every day!

Who is going to check the threads prior to buying the car? Also just keep them if that's the concern and they can be replaced. Ditch them or else as stated above someone else will break them for you and you'll end up doing it anyway.

Left hand lug nuts will not loosen up and your wheel will not fall off. They will even tighten as you drive, if someone leaves them loose. That is why they were there. Talk to someone who has lost a wheel, not a good feeling. Just because someone does not know how well engineered our cars are, does not mean you need to throw away that advantage. However even Ma Mopar gave up in 1971 and made them just like everyone else.

i would opt to get rid of them, anyone got a link on proper procedure?

It may not be the right way, but here is what I have found to be the easiest. Zip disc them off as close to the hub as you can. Drill out the center and punch them out. I use about 3 drill sizes. Starting quite small so I get a good center on the stud. You don't want to drill the edge of the hole or drill through the back side. Just drill deep enough to be even with the back of the hub. Once the hole is suffice the stud base pretty much taps out with a punch inside the hole. Works for me.

I used to SNAP MY LHT's on my '69 BEE ALL THE TIME TILL I TOOK EM OUT and Replaced em with RHT's. JMTC

I had kelsey hayes discs on the front, so I took the rotors to moser and they drilled them to big bolt pattern and they installed 1/2" screw in studs and cut the old ones off.

It's something to think about. Now I can buy most any wheel. And no more chincy size studs.

Now you'll need new axles or maybe redrill, for the rear.

Plan it out. It was worth it to me. That small bolt pattern is nothing but a headache when it comes to buying rims and making the car the way you want.

Find a place like Moser near you.

http://www.moserengineering.com/

Well it took a few dollors to many and I got a few sets of incorrect studs but my drivers side is now fitted with correct left hand threaded studs on both front and rear. No one will ever know except me but I'm happy. Its the little things in life.

No need to 'fix' something that is not broken. Even if I did break one, I would replace it with LH thread.

I had to replace mine as I am running tapered axles. The hub and drum were swaged together and left hand studs are unobtanium so I went right hand out of necessity. I had no issue with them but you have to remember anytime you have someone work on it to tell them they are left handed.

I found I have no problem with the left hand nut, since I found that vintage left hand 4 way!

besides, ya might be at the local car show and they will have a lug judge, looking for that tell tales L on the thing!?????? LOL

Both of my A-bodies have ONE wheel with LH studs. In both cases it is the left rear. This is guaranteed to confuse the monkeys at the tire store. It is particularly a problem if you want or need special lug nuts for mag wheels or even the optional bolt-through wheel covers. I have already decided to change them to all RH when the opportunity arises. The "folk knowledge" about Mopar LH thread lugs is almost extinct in the world at large. There is just no point in bucking the trend.

PS: I have 10 new drum brake LH studs in the original packaging if anyone is determined to retain the configuration.

If you still have, how much to 06260, putnam, ct?

-
Back