Let me back up

-

fishman

Reaction score
I put a post on here looking for a metering valve for my 69 cuda. I got to thinking maybe I should ask if anyone might have a a car with power disc brakes that can tell me what I need. I am puttin a disc brake set on that came off of a formula s cuda. I thought I had everything but it looks like I need one more piece that goes in the rear brake line. I have new lines from Right Stuff, they came with a two piece line that goes to the back. I think I need the valve that goes to in line there. If anyone has a car that has this setup please let me know what I need. Thanks Tom

No, the line comes out of the proportioning block going to the rear. Then there is another block that the line goes into. That block delays the rear brakes for a split second to prevent rear brake lockup.

My 69 Dart has power drums. The only other block on the rear brakes is the one mounted on the rear axle tube, which branches off to each wheel cylinder.

With disc brakes you should have a combination valve mounted to the frame rail below the master cylinder. The line from the master goes into the combination valve and you have one line running towards the rear axle. This line connects to the brass block for the rear flex hose. I don't know of any delay valve?

I've never heard of a delay valve, not stock anyway. Unless you're talking about a line lock valve that can be into the line going to the rear brakes for help doing a burnout.

Terry

I didnt think there was any other blocks to. But when I got my new lines from the right stuff it had a two piece line going to the back. So I called them an was informed of this block. So I looked it up in my shop manuel and there it is. I found one on Ebay here is a pic. Thanks Tom

brake.jpg

The pic is a little small to be sure, but that looks like the brass block that joins the rear flex hose to the steel lines that runs across the rear axle?

THe block you are talking about has a hole thru it to bolt to the rear end housing. This one mounts on the frame rail about 8" behind the prop. valve.

THe block you are talking about has a hole thru it to bolt to the rear end housing. This one mounts on the frame rail about 8" behind the prop. valve.

wow!! you're right! i never noticed that block before. i just checked my buddy's 68 340/4spd formula s he is storing here and it has one. it was hard to see since it was coverd in dirt and grease. have you tried like tonys parts, chets parts, stephens performance?? they might have one for you.

Speaking for myself, I have a disc-drum Demon and "would not" install a delay valve anywhere on the brake system.

Terry

Thanks Redfastback i thought I was losing it, I did find one on ebag but it isn't cheap but you pay to play. Thanks Tom

I have found out how everything in this brake system is should be put together. If any one goes to power disc brakes from drums, you might be able to use this picture. I found that power disc cars use an extra valve that delays the fluid to the rear brakes for a brief period. This keeps the rear brakes from locking up under hard use. Maybe this can save someone the troble I went thru. Tom

engine bay 053.JPE

Hey, Fishman, thanks for the info. I plan to put aftermarket discs on my '68 'Cuda and I now need to ask whoever I get them from how they address this issue.

Good thats what I was hopeing for, I would not have known if I hadnt replaced all the brake lines. I thought that Right Stuff had screwed up when they sent my lines.

Just went out and looked at my 69 Dart with manual disc brakes and it has the same block, dirt, oil, and corrosion besides...

100_7824_00.jpg

Your right I made a mistake on the power thing, its any disc car. Glad to see the picture to make sure that I had the valve positioned right. Thanks Tom

-
Back