Let's hear from the truckers out there

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
Now that I have finished my first round out on the road I feel that I can now call myself a truck driver. Let's see how many truckers there are here and where do you normally run and in what type of equipment. My truck is a Volvo with a cummins engine and a 13 speed tranny. Now it is your turn.

I run CO, NM, WY, ant UT. I drive a Freifgtshaker with a clatterpiller, Pulling a tanker hauling cryogenic liquids, oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen. Been doing it 32 years now.

Now that I have finished my first round out on the road I feel that I can now call myself a truck driver. Let's see how many truckers there are here and where do you normally run and in what type of equipment. My truck is a Volvo with a cummins engine and a 13 speed tranny. Now it is your turn.

Man, are you going to find your dart to be tiny... :) My buddy was a trucker..he had a monster Impala and he felt very uncomfortable in it...too samll..but he couldn't take dates out in his semi :) :)

I run Northwest to Midwest, and sometimes run Eastcoast, as most no i transpoprt cars all over, i've even hauled a few FABO members cars from here, i own an 03 Peterbuilt and 03 Boydstun car transporter trailer, i've been doing this 20+ years now trying to grow my company into an 5-6 truck operation over this summer!!!!!!!

Good to see this posting, it reminds me of some old days, (NO I'm not that old, BUT yes, I used to drive truck, I had to turn in my CDL's due to health BEFORE I got married, the Diabetes ruined it that dream of mine, I love to travel and see the world, so, what I owned and drove, does that count in this thread even if I no longer have it? (A dear fellow driver who taught me, bought both, my truck and flat bed trailer.....) He only runs my ole tractor now on runs as a get it out an play sort of thing, my ole truck was an 89 Western Star, and I'll leave it here for now till I read different to participate with those fellow drivers! Keep 'em rollin!

67, you can take the driver out of the truck, but you can't take the truck out of the driver. Post away.

My younger Sister and her Husband team drive for Stevens in a 2013 KW. (don't know the model)
(apparently got some bonus recently for being top producers)
The route they frequent is Northern Cal, AZ, TX, NM and CO.

They make pretty good money, and love the adventure of the whole thing.

I have been a petroleum hauler for over 20 years. I now work for Love's Truck Stop in Virginia on Int 85. Drive a 2012 Freight shaker. Got it so easy it has a Allison Automatic 10 speed in it. We pull Gas and Diesel out of terminals in Richmond Va and Selme NC. I will probably retire here cause I love my job and am away too old to retrain.

WELL, I sort of knew the whole you can take the driver from the truck, but can't take the truck from the driver.. so anyway.....
I had a very close family friend, that took me for a few rides across country, and I enjoyed it I worked for him, sort of.....I loaded the flatbed he pulled, worked on his truck, paid me well, but he had one issue that drove me NUTZ (and really its a short ride now and was a short ride then!) But, he was ready for bed when the sun went down, no matter where we were or what we were doin' It got to the point where one day I just open up and said "Damn-it Gary teach me to drive this thing", and when your comfortable with my driving you can go to bed and I'll be able to put this thing in the wind and if not at destination, a good distance from where you left off....SO, he did...

A Year later, after all that teaching, spoke with Dallas & Mavis, about me riding with him told them, he wanted a learners permit, he worked for them for many a year, and they granted it, and within 6 months I had my CDL's, some sort of a "Grandfathering" came to play here. I was greatful, not only did I learn but knew I was going to be paid for it as well!
Went on to 6 months later, I wound up talking Gary into co-signing for me a truck as he too was an owner-op. so....I may have been one! And we went to a place out in Illinois, to date I can't not recall the name of that dealership and there it sat, a 1989 Western Star 4964, that was all white, dual tu-tone blue stripes (It was an old Atlas Van Lines truck) I loved it. Just something about it, I just don't know I had to look inside ask all sorts of questions, you guys know it was like buying a car, none-the-less...Inside all decked out, the owner before me done some nice touches to the dash added all chrome, toggles, lighted ends, and a solid Aluminum steering wheel, this guy had a bit of cash tied up in the interior alone, the sleeper in near mint shape, and had just about everything I needed or could have ever wanted in it....I did want to add a chrome "Eagle" to the roof, as a spoiler to get a little better milage but, that never happened! I did however finish the interior where the other guy let off, as it wasn't completely done, inside but it was close to having the dashed covered in chrome toggle switches and all the gauges trimmed in chrome rings it was actually really nice!

Got to know that Gary at the time had a 425 Cummins in his 1992 Peterbilt 379, I learned on a Pete too, also a 379 but had a 400 I think it was Cumins in it. The "Star, had a Cat in it, a 425 and it ran pretty good, Gary known as Diesel, they called me "Smoke" and we ran a lot to gether down the road....The 2 of us were about as crazy as a **** house rat sometimes but we were clean and he just loved that I got that truck too....Always liked it we used to "team drive" in MY truck....But, here I am telling as story and getting ahead of myself.
I lived then in Pennsylvania, and had a local Cat dealership doin all my work and took it in for a servicing right after I got home with it, and they found that the truck needed a flywheel, mine was cracked! Costed a TON of cash to get that part and in the unit. So I paid them to do it, and then about 1,000 miles out she locked up tighter then a drum....I drifted it off the road, called another truck driver friend, Kevin to come get my trailer, as my truck was brokedown and at the time he was looking for something to drag somewhere....But anyway the same garage came to get my truck, towed it in, and then as we pulled in, I noticed something, ALL of the Cat "Big Wigs" were about for some sort of inspection of this dealership....Turns out I talked with one of them, they took my truck in find that the flywheel wasn't the correct one from a B model 425 to a C model 425.....SO, I was granted any crate Cat they had on the list then for my truck through the small talk I made with one of the purdy jackets in the building. I ended up with a 600 C-15, and had all the trimming, to get me something near or around 700 HP and God himself only knows how much torque...All I know is the ole Road Ranger was replaced before it left thatshop from a wrecked truck that came in, under warrenty and put a 18 speed behind my big 600.
Out of the whole lot of guys I used to "run" with, Kevin had the fastest truck, a Ant Eater Pete with a 550 Cat in it, till this came along and Gary was second to Kevin and then came in Garys Brother Kenny. with a Serious 60 Detroit....
The day I had my uncle take me to pick up the Star, I wentto see Gary at home, and was told he was at his Uncles doing some work to his and was headed out. So I rushed over there, to catch him BEFORE he left, and and had to go up over the Mountain after him when I seen him headed up in front of me, and yelled at him over the CB, Hey Diesel , got a miniute?" He yells Yep what ya want? I thought yer truck was in the shop, "yeah it was..... Watch this.. and then grabed another and caught up with him after a few miniutes as when I first seem him Bob-tailin' he was a good ways ahead of me and had a better running truck or so he thought!
Anyway, I caught up with him headed up over Mt Huntsrick, into Pennsylvania from Cumberland as he lived just off of Route 160....He says over the CB so. what in the hell have you had done to that thing? You weren't able to catch me for the life of you, never mind doing it Bob-tailing....I said you'll see soon enough....I'll show ya in your driveway. when you getthere after me! And when that little nol came along with a short passing section, I waved as I passed him, kind of funny typingthis out now (I never thought I'd be doin that one let me tell ya!) and I sat for 5 minutes till he gotto his drive way all pissed off. what in the hell did you do or have done to that Cat he says as he climbing down out the Pete....I just yelled open the hood and look fer yerself! LOL
I tell ya guys, I wish he wasn't a 4 letter F-word kinda guy (the only thing wrong with him in my books) but he was a steamin hot. Flipped open the hood and I could have swore he **** down both pant legs and not touched either one on the way to shoes! He's like your insane! I was like WHY? I ain't got a cent in it! BESIDES the cost of the NEW Road Ranger.....His reply well. Kevin WAS the fastest amoung us...... I was like yep, he WAS now keep yer trap shut and lets have some fun! LOL
Ohhh those were some fun days......... I tell ya, its been so long since I got to feel as that was back then! A year from that point in time, passed, and I was made to turn in my CDL's due to being Diabetic.....It was the second most difficult thing, I have EVER done, first was the loss of my Dad, recently....I love to drive, I love to see the country, and I like being paid to do it....Just isn't in my cards anymore and to that I settled down and got married some 2 years later, in 2004. Which turned another chapter in ole Johns life.....

I just now, have a reason to get those few truck pics of mine scanned.....I don't have many, but a couple, one of the truck I learned in and one of my truck....That Western Star resides with Gary, he bought it from me along with the flatbed Benson trailer I bought to haul steel with. I had a side kit, bows, the whole balla wax..."Covered Wagon". The trailer was sold new old stock it was a year back sale that was left over from the local Benson dealership north of my home town in PA. Come to think of it, that was THEE only vehicle related "new" item, I ever bought, "brand new"....

-
Back