Let's talk... Ironhead Sportsters

-
Harleys and Mopars have a lot in common, you generally either love them or hate them. I have had a Harley in the garage for many years (not the same one). I have had iron head sportsters, a flathead, a 78 Shovel and a couple of Evo's and I currently have that same 78 Shovel and 2 Evos. While the idea of having an old harley is appealing, the reality of it isn't unless you are just in love with them and working on them. I used to equate riding my shovel to flying a Helicopter; 2 hours of work for every hour of riding (not really but is seemed like it). I love the shovel as it was the first HD I ever actually liked (saw one new in 78); however I have chopped mine now and it has a rigid frame springer front end, etc. I keep it to look at and ride the Heritage and Ultra.

Like Mopars, Harleys are more of a "way of life" in that its something you should do because you love it, not because someone else thinks you should have one. Modern bikes (all brands) have come a long way from the old bikes and are relatively trouble free and fun to ride. Yes there is something nostalgic and cool about an old Harley but unless this is your passion, get something that speaks to and more importantly fits you, don't worry about the name on the tank.

Completely agree that you need to learn to ride on something other than an old Harley. You need to focus on learning to ride rather than keeping it running not to mention the 30lb clutch cable. You can pick up an older street bike off your local craigslist for cheap and beat the crap out of it, plus that experience will really tell you if riding a MC is something you even want to do.

OK, I just gotta say this-

I actually priced timing belts/chains on rock auto before I posted.

Yes, there some in the $120-140 range but most were under $50.

NO parts pricing is NOT the same, unless you work on exotic or high tech cars.

Geeze.

The one for our TDI was $230 and I assumed most cars were around that. You don't have to lecture me I believe you.

Geez.

Harleys and Mopars have a lot in common, you generally either love them or hate them. I have had a Harley in the garage for many years (not the same one). I have had iron head sportsters, a flathead, a 78 Shovel and a couple of Evo's and I currently have that same 78 Shovel and 2 Evos. While the idea of having an old harley is appealing, the reality of it isn't unless you are just in love with them and working on them. I used to equate riding my shovel to flying a Helicopter; 2 hours of work for every hour of riding (not really but is seemed like it). I love the shovel as it was the first HD I ever actually liked (saw one new in 78); however I have chopped mine now and it has a rigid frame springer front end, etc. I keep it to look at and ride the Heritage and Ultra.

Like Mopars, Harleys are more of a "way of life" in that its something you should do because you love it, not because someone else thinks you should have one. Modern bikes (all brands) have come a long way from the old bikes and are relatively trouble free and fun to ride. Yes there is something nostalgic and cool about an old Harley but unless this is your passion, get something that speaks to and more importantly fits you, don't worry about the name on the tank.

Completely agree that you need to learn to ride on something other than an old Harley. You need to focus on learning to ride rather than keeping it running not to mention the 30lb clutch cable. You can pick up an older street bike off your local craigslist for cheap and beat the crap out of it, plus that experience will really tell you if riding a MC is something you even want to do.

Thanks, I see what you're saying. I learned to drive on my parents 2003 Chrysler minivan before I got my Duster LOL. Honestly thinking about it now I'd be more comfortable spending riding time off-road than on. And after taking the riding course i'm sure I'd rather be on the road with something I can depend on and handle comfortably in a hairy situation with how frickin DUMB and BLIND drivers are on the road.

I spend a decent amount of time wrenching on my Duster mostly just for tuning or preventative maintenance but I still enjoy it. However there have been times when my driver Jeep was down and I had to drive my Duster daily, that actually was not very enjoyable and really sucked lol. All the little annoying things became a lot bigger when I was just trying to get somewhere.

New Harleys are very dependable, I bought my 06 Heritage new and beside changing the oil have never done anything to it. Manufacturing techniques have become so much better than in years past that its uncommon to really find a dud; don't get me wrong there are lemons in every brand and every model but its more of the exception than the rule.

As to a motorcycle, if you like them and want one, get one that really speaks to you and that you really want than what others think you should have. Die hard Harley guys re just like die hard Mopar guys; they believe in their hearts that this is the only brand that should sold and used and there is nothing wrong with that until it becomes an emotional issue. I love Harley's and I love Mopars but fully understand that there are brands other than these in their respective categories that are good and are loved by someone. Likewise, I have owned other brands of both cars and motorcycles, but I choose to focus on these two. If you like the look of a Harley, go and visit a dealer, while you are at it, look at Indian and the other brands; you will know when you have found "the one".

LOL like, $1000-$2000 and that won't be for another year or so until after my Duster and Jeep are all sorted out. Heck I might even do the "wise" thing and wait until after I'm done with school (Masters in mech. engineering) depending on how much free time and money I'll have in the next year or 2.
A Masters in Mechanical Engineering??? Hell man, just build your own bike. It’s not hard and if you use used parts it’s a lot cheaper. Make it your own. That’s what I did. By the way, I learned to ride on a ‘92 1200cc Skirtster. I’m 6’1 and felt like I was riding a mini bike even with 2” extended forward controls. Sportys are for chics and midgets. If you’re gonna buy one instead of building one, look at the Dyna SuperGlide. It’s like the Sporty’s big brother. Cheap too. And yes, ride like everyone else on the road is trying to kill you. It’s a combat zone!

530262C3-3D4E-4017-B60A-562DE4097C8D.jpeg

Great idea. You could look into buying a wrecked big twin for the drivetrain and title, and theres companies out there like drag specialties, CCI, and Paughco that make and sell frames and frame kits that come with numbers on them and certificates of origin. Check with your state on whats needed to do a kit built bike, similar to a kit car in registration i am sure. But if you have a title for the vin on the engine block, and certificate of origin with the frame numbers, it shouldent be too hard. I remember complete roller kits minus engine and trans in the drag specialties catalog years ago. They had options as far as wheels, forks, fenders, tanks etc, some kits came with wiring harnesses too. Frames, and sheetmetal all came raw steel or transport primered, a veritable blank canvas for how you wanted it to be.

BTW SSG i dig the black springer front end, and the billet juice brake on the front, super nice chop all around. Built with style and function in mind, and not all chrome chiefed out.

-
Back