Lets talk leaf springs

-

prrc

Reaction score
As many of you know I'm building a PT 65 Dart. I've been doing my home work on rear suspension set ups and researched many brands. But I have a few questions that I'm sure someone could answer. I have read post about the Firm Feel road race springs. And from what I can tell is they are Mopar Performance spring 313 De arched? if so what was the original arch and what were they searched to? 4 1/2?
Also I've been looking at the Hyperco composite mono leaf spring. They would save a ton of weight only weighing in at 8lbs But after talking with them they suggest using a pan hard bar or something to help with Lateral movement. A Pan hard bar is no go for me. So I could build a Watts Link for the Dart. Anyone ever run this set up or any experience with these springs.
Lastly is Afco. Need to call them and see if they are recommended for a road race type set up.They have a 5" arch so not sure if they would also need to be searched? Anyone using them for such a purpose.
Thanks for any feed back you could provide.
Tim

You need to understand that mopar springs are designed in 2 sections technically. . .

The front is the applying power to the ground and the rear is the weight and ride. . .

You should use sliders and lose the shackles and use a firm spring and you will have to adjust the pack yourself to get the ride and traction you want.

You may have to shorten rear sections of springs to adjust the ride, or cut one back half out completely, not remove the entire leaf, you want the front stiff and able to deal with the power applied and clamped.

Just some FYI,, Check out Hotchkis as they are making more Mopar stuff just to compare.The latest is a-body stuff. If you call, Aron Ogawa is the man to talk to.He is the engineer that designs the mopar stuff. They do a auto cross at MATS and their cars really do handle.

Yes I all ready have sliders. They will be installed with the new rear end. along with moving the springs inboard and mini tubs.
Hotchkis, Yes I'm aware of there product line. They seem very expensive for a steel leaf spring.

I took my dimensions and suspension mods on the Signet from the Mopar suspension book as far as leaf spring performance as well as other modifications. I brought mine to a truck spring shop for the correct tension I wanted to run and the results were perfect. Does this make sense to you?

Sure does.
I took my dimensions and suspension mods on the Signet from the Mopar suspension book as far as leaf spring performance as well as other modifications. I brought mine to a truck spring shop for the correct tension I wanted to run and the results were perfect. Does this make sense to you?

I talked with Afco today. And they make a spring not listed in there catalog that fits the build. 166 lb with reinforced front leafs and reasonable priced. They they make some really trick pieces if you look through the catalog.

I talked with Afco today. And they make a spring not listed in there catalog that fits the build. 166 lb with reinforced front leafs and reasonable priced. They they make some really trick pieces if you look through the catalog.

How much? That rate sounds good for mine too.

-
Back